TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFPR install steps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5
AFPR install steps.

I have the AFPR and have a good idea how to do it but would really like some step by step instructions. I checked the archives but no go in that department. I know that I am going to need a fuel guage and a torx 10 drive (if that is wrong please correct me), new gaskets since mine didnt come with them and the afpr is there anything else that I am going to need. Also if you guys know what sensors and hoses I need to disconnect please enlighten me. Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------
'89 Iroc-Z
305 TPI few minor things
5 speed
Lowered 2" and yes it is a pain to drive
Old 06-13-2001, 10:31 PM

You will have to remove the TB and plenum to get to the FPR. Make sure you have gaskets for the TB & Plenum just incase they are too old to put back on. The swap is pretty straight forward. Remove the #10 torx bolts on the AFR and put your fresh parts on.

After the simple part swap you need to check baseline fuel pressure.
With the motor off/ignition on (key forward-engine off)check the primed fuel rail pressure-(should be close to engine on pressure). After this turn the engine over and check it with the vac line off (the vac line going from the plenum to the AFPR and don't forget to plug-up the open end of the vac line) this is where you set the pressure to what you want.(46 to 53 psi works good for stock to modded engines) After you finish -replace the vac line. Duct Tape the fuel pressure gauge to your windshield so you can see the pressure while you are driving. (when you are not at WOT the pressure will be lower- vac line is on) At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) the pres. needs to be the same as when adjusted in the driveway(engine idling) or you have a clogged fuel filter, weak pump,etc. -- Hoped this helped.

Old 06-13-2001, 11:30 PM

you dont have to remove the tb, just take the plenum off with the tb on. the screws holding down the fpr are security torx screws..so make sure you get a security torx bit. chances are you will be able to reuse your old gaskets,, torque the plenum back down when you are done.. i think its 15ft/lbs.. the mat sensor will need ot be unplugged and so will a vacuum line that goes from the EGR to the bottom of the tb.. do the tb coolant bypass before you take off the plenum so that the tb is not connected to this coolant hose,, it'll make it easier.
good luck
Old 06-13-2001, 11:42 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Or you can just use a punch and knock out those little mothers in the torx bits... that's what I did. Also, make sure that when you put the AFPR back on you back the plunger out pretty far, I made my own AFPR and just barely touched the bolt to the top of the guts inside, and when I started the car up, I thought the gauge was bad. I replaced the gauge, and turns out I was running at over 100psi of fuel pressure until I figured out what I had done.

------------------
Kevin Irving
85 Trans Am WS-6, 305 TPI, custom burned '86 PROM with '87 "165"ECM, Accel Supercoil & 8.8 Wires, Rapidfire #2 @ .055", MSD 6AL, 1.6:1 Roller tipped rockers, Homemade AFPR, K&N cone, no airbox, Aluminum Driveshaft, Wonderbar, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Plenum, Descreened MAF, Syclone Fuel Pump, JET Airfoil, Mobil 1 synth in all but transmission.

http://www.geocities.com/transam85tpi/