TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI to carb..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI to carb..

Sooo ive been doing some research. and im starting to lean toward converting the motor to carb. i kinda dont want to because ive always wanted to work on a fuel injected muscle car, but from the research ive done the tpi set up is pretty restrictive even with the better aftermarket set ups. Am i wrong on that? I'm sure converting it to carb would kinda bring the cars value down since its an original tpi, but i dont plan on selling the car at all so that doesnt matter to me. My main issue again is how restrictive the TPI set up is and how much it limits as far as an all motor application. Maybe some of you guys/gals can help me on this. What are some pro's/cons of staying TPI and some pro's and cons of going carb. Its a big decision for me and i dont want to do anything without getting advice from people who know more about it than me. i kno ultimatly its my decision, but again, i'd rather get some advice from you guys. THanks 8-)
Old 02-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28 Convt.
Engine: 305 TPI (built)
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Re: TPI to carb..

if i were you i'd stay with fuel injection ..

the tpi setup IS somewhat restrictive in the stock form .. but you can tune it to do whatever you want alot better than a carb .. and you can get about double the gas mileage with fuel injection

if your worried about the restriction and want to rev it over 5500 rpm then go with a HSR intake or someother ram setup ..

i just built my 305 tpi with vortec heads, comp cam, edelbrock hi flow vortec intake manifold, and hooker 2055 headers.. and it will pull all the way to 5000 rpm just fine with the stock runners .. im waiting to tune it and put on the slp runners .. right now it really pulls hard at 4800 rpm ...

with tpi and fuel injection youll have ALOT more torque and fuel mileage ..

the only way i would run a carb is if i were:

A) filthy rich and threw on a huge roots type supercharger
or
B) wanted to throw a HUGE cam in it
Old 02-23-2008, 10:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Keep your TPI vehicle as TPI. If you want a carb then buy a car with a carb on it.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 PM

Ya ive been thinkin a lot more about it and what you guys said. i think i gonna keep it injected. It just makes more sense. while i want as much power as i can get as anyone else, i would like to drive it in the street. i would also like to not make the gas bandits any more rich than they already are lol. i also did more research on the HSR and its a lot better than i thought. im not out to rev that poor little small block like a rotary or a honda lol. I'm gonna stick to what i really wanted and thats a fuel injected V8. With that said, ive seen that the HSR on bolt on L98's can produce up to 60ish hp with a loss of low end power and torque. With AFR's, long tubes, HSR and a reasonable cam for that H/I set up about how much power could i expect? On my previous 5ohs (sbf) id get over 300 at the wheels with a H/C/I swap. Could i expect this or maybe a little less?

PS, how much is the stealth ram set up anyway? i was on the summit site and saw one stealth ram MPFI kit for 2700 PLEASE tell me thats not it???

Last edited by JerzyIroc; 02-23-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 AM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28 Convt.
Engine: 305 TPI (built)
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

no ... the ram intake swap for our tpi's is only $600 .. the one you saw was a COMPLETE kit .. meaning intake, injectors, fuel rails, programmable computer, etc

as for hp / tq #'s .. all depends on how you build it .. but ive seen on a 350 #'s around 400 hp / 380 tq (pretty sure thats flywheel though)

thats just a guess from some websites ive looked at ...

im sure someone else will come here with closer #'s .. my setup is a built 305 tpi and once i tune the computer and get a few dyno runs in, ill let everyone know how it goes .. its a vortec 305 tpi setup basically its all aftermarket parts except the block, crank, rods