TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 36 and 44

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Code 36 and 44

Ok, so a friend of mines car is setting 2 codes, a code 36 and a code 44. It is an 88GTA 350. It has a supercharger so currently I am more worried about the code 36 which is a MAF burn off code. When the code sets it often sets when the car is running, not when it turns off, which bothers me because in all the diagnostic trees/ charts I am looking at it says to run the engine till it gets hot then turn it off and see if the code comes on. The code sets when it is warming up or even at idle cold sometimes. The code seems to be intermittent because today when I ran it, neither codes came up.
The MAF sensor is new, we needed one. I am not the type of person to just throw parts at it like a new power and burn off relay even though they might be inexpensive I dont feel this is the correct way to fix a car, So please dont tell me to just put new relays. Please let me know how to go about checking these relays the correct way.
The code 44 I am assuming needs more Fuel pressure and bigger injectors with this supercharger but I figured i would throw it out there to see if there could be any relationship.
Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 vette
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: Code 36 and 44

"Please let me know how to go about checking these relays the correct way."

The correct way is to "just find the problem and clear the code". What ever works for you.

If it was me.

Buy the oem service manual and follow all the trouble shooting steps. Buy all of the recommended test equipment.

Remove the relay. Check the resistance of the coil and contacts. Powered and unpowered. Use a good digital calibrated ohm meter. Compare readings to a similar known good one or refer the manufacturer spec. Technical bulletins, wiring diagrams, and assembly drawings help.

High pot coil for shorts.

Disassemble relay and clean/burnish contacts. Retest. Fragile don't destroy.

Do functional test with square wave generator and proper load.

Check at pin D on Maf. Volts should be there for a hot sec at key off.

Swap relay with know good one. Steal one from else where in the car or your buddies.

Go to junk yard and find similar relays, swap till it works.

Go and spend time doing more searching. Won't fix the car, but will broaden ones understanding of the physical world.

Code 44 lean exhaust, look for leaks.

search web for proper O2 testing procedures.