TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need more HP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need more HP!!!

Hey how can I get more HP out of my 88 ta with a 305 tpi? If I build up the motor do I have to do a lot with the injectors and ecm?? would I be better off going with a 350 carb motor?? looking to get about 375-400 HP.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:38 PM
Banned

You got a hiogh goal. I will just say this. You will need a custom prom for that much HP with any FI system on any displacement motor.
There are a lot of things you can do. For that high of a goal You need to start big and do it all at once.
This is Cam/Head/Intake?fullexhaust mods.
With needing to cahnge all of that I would say it would be cheaper to just build a 350 Carb motor on a stand while enjoying your TPI while you can Then do a swap and trash the FI. You will lose a little driveability but it will be so easy to get that HP out of a carbed 350. Though you will lose the nice part of having Fuel Injection... the driveability.
You have a long road ahead of you... you will also have to do wome work on the suspension if you really want to put that power to the ground.

------------------
89 Trans Am Turbo 3.8L All stock 43,000 miles #1053 of 1555

Past Thirdgen:
86 Trans Am w/ built 355TPI with SLP goodies and too much other stuff to List. One sweet *** car, wish I would have had a good enough Job to pay insurance on three cars so I could keep it, but for a 89 Turbo Trans Am w/ Low miles, I think I made the right choice!
Old 10-26-2001, 10:26 PM

For you to get 375 to 400 you need to decide how much cash you want to spend to get the tpi ready for this you will have to get a lot of things new intake(base) runners injectors adj fuel reg chip or you can go the minne ram or super ram route.both way are expencive at least 1000 in the intake buy it self plus 300 for a chip after that all you have to do is build the motor like you would any other 350 just get a cam that will work with the fuel injection if you go that route. you need to way the diffrences for what is better for you.I have spent the big money on my car but I did it over time I bought all the parts when I had money and tried not to get in a hurry to finish it all at once to spred the coast out with is what most of us do me get the cat back headers K&N filter adj fuel reg mabe even start to wright your own proms witch is a lot essyer to lern how to do if you start with a stock car.Do all the bolt ons and have a 350 on a stand some place getting put to gether a little at a time.But if money is not a problem.