TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IROC TPI vs (modded) LT1 TPI intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IROC TPI vs (modded) LT1 TPI intake manifolds

hello all,
i am new here and just thought i would give you a little back ground of the project and future goals. so me and my dad had a 75 small block chevy 350 that has been board out .030 just laying around and i thought what would be cooler than a pint sized truck powered by a chevy? so we decided to stuff the engine into my 1990 toyota pickup and build a street/stip truck. it is now up and running and runs a 14.4 in the 1/4 with 3.07 gears and an open rear diff. hopefully soon it will be changed to an lsd with 4.10's.
so now with all that being said it's carb'd right now with an edlebrock torker II intake and 650cfm edlebrock carb. im starting this thread for a couple reasons; i need hood clearance, want to go fuel injected (already have megasquirt), and plan on running nitrous very soon.

so to the question. which intake is better for a Naturally Aspirated engine? (well, and nitrous)

i have been up in the air on which intake to use i have a LT1 EFI mini ram intake manifold in my possession and plan to modify it to fit a gen 1 sbc (75 to be exact)and have read from some people that it's great once ported and can handle just about anything.

and as for the Iroc tpi i haven't been able to get my hands on a complete setup cheap enough but i have read that they made great torque but once it got past mid range and toward top end in the RPMs it starts choking out.

so my question is which would be the better option for flow?
thank you all
Jessie
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: IROC TPI vs (modded) LT1 TPI intake manifolds

What heads and cam on the 350 motor? Even on a mild stock L98, the short runner intake like LT1 or similar will outperform the stock TPI in the 1/4 mile.

Now once you add aftermarket bigger tube runner larger base TPI, on that mild motor the two setups will be very close in performance.

On a larger head/bigger cam motor, you will start to see the shorter runner LT1 type intakes make bigger hp gains and turn more rpm and that will get better ET.

So if the motor is mild, under 5500 rpm, aftermarket big TPI stuff will run on par with short runner stuff. If the motor has a decent cam and ok heads and wants to pull abit higher than 5000-5500, you will start to see hp/tq gains at high rpm with the LT1 type intakes so they are a better choice.

If you are only comparing LT1 intake to stock TPI on a decently cammed 350, then I'd go LT1 intake if you can do the swap conversion since alot of work needs done. I've done it and it wasnt too bad but my methods are abit crude compared to what is proper. Building up port material around waterjackets should be done witih welding not epoxy material but both CAN work. I plan on doing another intake just for fun to see if I can improve the quality of the design compared to what I did in the past.

But the LT1 intake will support a good bit of power, especially after porting, but thats really only necessary after 350whp-370whp or so.

Either one will work with nitrous under 175 shots.