TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI high idle - stock intake w/ corvette aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans am
Engine: 355ci, 91 TPI set up.
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
TPI high idle - stock intake w/ corvette aluminum heads

I've got a Firebird with a 350, a 87 tpi intake - converted to MAP - using dynamic EFI ecm, 58mm holley throttle body, and hooker headers.

Having a problem with a high idle (1500 rpm with throttle adjustment screw backed all the way out, IAC 0 counts) and I suspect an air intake leak.

Previously, it was my injectors not seating properly - removed them and got them sealed, all was well.

Still not getting a proper idle at operating temp. Removed the throttle body, cleaned it and got a new gasket (I have small amounts of air leaking around the throttle blades, is this an issue?)

I've been using intake/carb cleaner spraying around vacuum hoses and other areas looking for leaks, nothing really major. A few old lines that could use replacing, tested those ones by plugging them - still not the issue.

I've come down to my EGR, applying vacuum to see if it would have any affect at all - did not change. Upon further inspection I realized my corvette aluminum heads, have a completely different EGR set-up. So right now my EGR is not getting any exhaust at all - could this be my major issue? I need to pass air care (smog test) to insure it, as I plan on daily driving it.

How can I set up my EGR to work? Could my EGR not functioning be causing my idle high? Any ideas and/or input is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails TPI high idle - stock intake w/ corvette aluminum heads-motor.jpg   TPI high idle - stock intake w/ corvette aluminum heads-2012-06-15_21-27  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: TPI high idle - stock intake w/ corvette aluminum heads

I dont know if egr is the problem but to make it work you need to run the vette system. They pull exhaust off the header tube i think on number 8. Runs to the valve on back of the intake.

Scoggin dickey used to sell a egr kit for this for like 60 bucks. Try looking for that.

Then double check all your vacuum lines and gaskets for intake and throttlebody. Sounds like a leak somewhere. Also what is the timing set to? Too high will force high idle