TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just in need of suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86' camaro
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700R4
Just in need of suggestions

I have an 86' TPI that I've put a decent amount of work into. I have a cam, headers, exhaust, bigger fuel injectors, msd ignition.. ect.. she runs like a beast and I am quite satisfied with my FIRST build. I was just on here to gather some suggestions. I am in dire need of heads that will compensate properly with the cam that has been installed. I have an LT4 hot cam with a .492 lift, clearly i know very well that does not belong in this motor. Long story short it was a time/money matter.. I ran out of both and needed my car up and running to get to and from work (no longer had a daily driver :\). As of right now I have the time to work on the motor, but the money issue still stands to an extent. I wanted honest opinions on what i can possibly do to not have to go out and spend a few thousand on new heads. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.. just please dont be too harsh
Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: Just in need of suggestions

Good heads are the AFR line or Trick Flow. Both lines offer several intake port sizes that will work with your setup and allow room for future upgrades(190-195cc would be a good start). One issue you will run into as you pursue power is the limits imposed by the TPI intake. This intake in stock form will not support more than 5,000 rpm, even with better heads and cam. With porting you can push it to 5,500 and a max of about 350hp. With expensive aftermarket high flow pieces you can get to 6,200rpm and around 420hp, but by that time you've spent more than the price of an alternative intake like the Holley Stealth Ram or the TPIS Mini Ram.

I have done all that can be done with a long tube TPI and my car is very fast. But now I'm wanting more and I'm realizing that short of a blower, there just isn't any more to be done with my TPI. I spent alot on this intake, and I have enjoyed it for a long time, but now I wish sometimes that I had gone a different route.

There are down sides to the other intakes. The HSR will barely clear the hood unless modified, and won't allow the use of a strut tower brace, unless you make your own. The Miniram will not have the low end torque/throttle response of the TPI(tough several users have said that they didn't miss the low end torque in light of the excellent top end power they picked up). You can compensate for less low end torque with a higher stall speed converter. Either intake will work very well with your cam. With either of the heads I've suggested, you could also install higher ratio rocker arms for more lift, resulting in more power.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

305 you are stuck with head selections. Need to keep valve at or under 1.94" else you will hit cylinder wall. Only real aftermarket head available is trickflow small valve 175cc but they run over 1000$.

They would make good power in that combo if you had aftermarket tpi or stealth ram intake to let it pull rpm. That cam in a 305 wants to go 6200-6500 rpm. Just needs heads and intake to support

Other option is L30 5.0l vortec heads. Take offs of a late model vortec van, i think between 1996-2002. Good factory castings just get them cleaned up machined for screw in studs and higher valve lift and a good valve job. Would also neeed a vortec intake like vortec tpi or hsr or single plane efi, or vortec pro flow xt if they have it.

May be out your budget, i am not sure.

Then you need a chip tune. Do you have one now? Probably tons to gain if not already tuned
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Oops, missed the "86" part of the post. The big valve heads are out. Vortecs are one good option, though you need a Vortec specific intake or TPI base, may be able to find something used. The Trick flow small port heads will work but they are the same price as the larger port heads and would be limited for future upgrades.

I would definitely encourage you to keep your investment in the 305 within limits and save instead for a 350 swap in the future. Then, you can get serious with head, cam and intake choices. Once you go 350 or larger, you open up alot more possibilities.