TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel Pump Issue???

I have a '91 Firebird Formula with the 5.7 liter L98 TPI engine. Twice now the car has died, once before with a whining sound from the rear of the car. Immediately after dying the engine would not crank at all even though all of the electrical systems continued to work. After about 10 minutes the car would crank again and after a few tries would start and run normally.

Does anyone know if the car sends a code to the computer to stop running and locks out the motor for a period of time when the fuel pump begins to struggle?

Also the car has exhibited strange behavior when starting for a while now. It almost always cranks for a long time even if I give it time to allow the pump to prime. After letting it crank for a while I usually turn the key off, then on the second attempt to crank it will start right up.

Does this sound like a fuel pump that needs to be replaced?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Fuel Pump Issue???

Originally Posted by tillyvick14
TPI engine. Twice now the car has died, once before with a whining sound from the rear of the car.
It almost always cranks for a long time even if I give it time to allow the pump to prime. After letting it crank for a while I usually turn the key off, then on the second attempt to crank it will start right up.
Does this sound like a fuel pump that needs to be replaced?
The fuel reg could be faulty and bleeding off the fuel pressure; ditto the injectors
There are simple tests you can do to eliminate either.

1st thing to do would be to put a pressure gauge on and see what your fuel pressure is actually doing ; key on and @ idle
Just because the pump is running doesn't mean you have the required fuel pressure at the rails

Originally Posted by tillyvick14
Does anyone know if the car sends a code to the computer to stop running and locks out the motor for a period of time when the fuel pump begins to struggle? ?
No
Pump either runs of it doesn't