TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 gta throttle hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 gta throttle hesitation

Was wondering if anyone else seems to have this problem ill try and explain it the best I can . This car seems to take off from a stop fine but when cruising with the throttle I would say 1/2 to 3/4 pedal it takes off like picks up and goes faster I hope I had explaned it the best I could I did have a Toyota truck that did this ounce and it was the o2 sensor could this maybe the prob and I did replace the tps and adjust it
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: 89 gta throttle hesitation

With this sort of problem, you have so many things to consider.
Good thing with the TPS and I will assume you are seeing roughly .5V closed throttle and around 5V WOT?
Could be your oxygen sensor causing you to be rich or lean and not getting the correct mixture until you go into power enrichment mode. Do you have a way to watch your O2 counts?
Could be your timing, have you checked your base timing?
Could be your fuel pump getting weak causing lean... have you checked fuel pressure?
Could be your transmission kick down. You didn't mention anything about waiting for it to downshift, but if you are cruising along and go to 3/4 throttle it should kick down. If this isn't happening you could be bogging your engine down.

Could be a few other things as well, but I would definitely start here.