TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Engine Installation start-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI Engine Installation start-up

I recently got an engine and transmission installed in my 1987 iroc. The engine that was installed was a 350 TPI. The mechanic that installed the engine removed or did not hook up a lot of the emission components. With the installation he put in an aftermarket distributor and starter. The problem I am having though is on start up I can't just turn the key and have it crank over. When I start it, I have to give it quick key shots - turn the key and and back right away. I can't hold down the ignition and have it crank over. It usually takes a couple times of this before it fires up and after it warms up it usually will fire up with a smaller number of key turns. Is this issue related to the missing emission components? If it is, is there any way to fix this without installing all the emissions components? I was also discussing this with another guy who is into this stuff and he suggested it might be the ballast resistor. Thoughts? Just some more information the engine that was originally in the car was a 350 TPI.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: TPI Engine Installation start-up

There is no ballast resistor. You might have a ninth injector issue.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...atic-only.html
Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 PM

The ninth injector I'm guessing is primarily used during start up? So you don't think there is a correlation between the missing emission equipment and this problem?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

The egr and air pump won’t cause a hard start, improper timing with the est connector not being done properly or not enough fuel like the ninth injector might be more possiable. Was this a 305 before the instal just curious?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 PM

A long time ago it was a 305; when I first bought the car. I swapped it out to a 350 shortly after I bought it and it was all done professionally new injectors and all and it ran spot on for awhile after that. The car has been sitting for awhile though. The engine and transmission (came attached) from Hawks Third Gen down in South Carolina. It was pulled from a 1987 Trans Am. When running the engine seems very strong. I'm sure that the injectors that are in it now are the same ones from the trans am when it was pulled I don't remember the mechanic telling me he was putting in new injectors. The engine was pulled with approx. 90k miles on the motor and trans.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

You need to check the fuel pressure and see if it holds pressure after prime. If it doesn't then you have a fuel bleed off problem. Either leaking injectors,fuel pressure regulator or the tube between the fuel pump and the hardlines in the tank.