TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Brew - Kinda Let Down When I Googled Performance Resource's To See If Around....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Home Brew - Kinda Let Down When I Googled Performance Resource's To See If Around....

So I was thinking of Performance Resource, as I bought at least 3 of their performance chips 20+ years ago. Googled them to see, and nothing...

So I looked up their address to see if they were still around, or what might be there. Looks like a house from the 1960s or 70s stands... Not any kind of industrial zone, test track, or engineering facility. I guess this business was run from the home. Interesting...

Whatever happened to Performance Resource? Like I said, I bought their chips in the past.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 SBC/HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Home Brew - Kinda Let Down When I Googled Performance Resource's To See If Around

I had one too......my car ran like crap with it. They went out of business long time ago.

Once people learned how to burn their own chips, these weren't in demand.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Re: Home Brew - Kinda Let Down When I Googled Performance Resource's To See If Around

Originally Posted by heat seeker
I had one too......my car ran like crap with it. They went out of business long time ago.

Once people learned how to burn their own chips, these weren't in demand.
My cars - the Corvette and GTA at least, ran really well with these chips. I "outgrew" the chip on the GTA when I went to the 383 and had to get one from another place. Jim Formato in FL, to be precise. The Turbo Buick never ran fast. A Red Armstrong Chip might've been better than, and who knows, now.

Anyways, what were things you gained over the PR chip(s) by doing your own? You have me curious, and want to know if something better may be out there now, 20+ years later, I suppose there is...
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 SBC/HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

With the large cam and larger injectors, I can tune WOT fueling, spark tables, and zero out all the OEM parameters that aren't needed for my performance application.

My car runs in open loop all the time, with me tweaking variables using my wideband gauge. Cold/hot starts, are much better when you can adjust A/F mixtures yourself.

IMO there's really nothing better on the market for third gen EFI, other than learning to tune yourself.