Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

How would I know if a TV Cable is in need of adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
How would I know if a TV Cable is in need of adjustment?

My transmission seems to be driving fine now...its been acting a little weird for the past week but right now nothing is going on with it.

Anyway what was previously going on was that the car shifting into 4th gear would shootpast 4000rpm to 4300rpm and then shift, it felt like it missed its shifting point.

I had a problem with the car a few months back, took it to my local tranny shop to have them diagnose it, they found that the cable came loose from the bracket. So they snapped it back in place and it was perfect again.

But just for future reference how would I know its in need of adjustment? I mean I have been told "Oh if the TV cable is out adjustment consider your tranny fried, it will die." I honestly think that if something like this goes out of adjustment, then why the hell is it so easy to break the tranny.

I'll tell you where my shifting occurs.

N-1- 15 mph
1-2- 35mph
2-3- 50mph
3-4 I have no idea but I am guessing around 60ish mph.

Does this sound good, when the cables came loose the car shifted like this

N-1 -8 mph
1-2- 12mph
2-3- 25mph

It was really annoying but nothing happened. My tranny fluid is fine and intact, no leaks anywhere, fluid is still pink no burnt smell, its all good.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It wont shift into 4th gear I believe unless it does that stupid little feeling to 4300rpm and then goes to 4000 and shifts. Lightest way to describe it is, it supposed to shift at 4k rpm or no.

Does this even sound like a TV cable, I want to adjust it but I am afraid I might screw something up. If the TV cable isnt in need of adjustment, but I adjust it anyway would it hurt the tranny at all.

Last edited by 91ChevyRS; 01-06-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 formula WS6
Engine: 305 Lo3
Transmission: 700-R4
Useually when the cable needs adj. it acks like it did when your cable came loose. The shift points are way too low under part throttle. I had to adj. mine when it started shifting into 2nd gear before I got 20 ft. after taking off from a dead stop. When you said it shoots past 4000 to 4300 are you saying it slips to 4300 or just continues to rev up to that point? If it slips, you could have internal problems more than I can describe being I'm not a tranny expert! Being your not having problems right now, and it seems to be intermitant, you might try changing your fluid and filter and add a can of Lucas transmission conditioner. I never was a fan of additives for tranny's because they never seemed to work but, I had a Dodge Dynasty that started shifting eratic and going into neutral while sitting at a traffic light in gear. I used the Lucas after a friend recomended it when I changed the fluid and it worked great. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:17 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 406 CI
Transmission: Pete K 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:55
Adjustment is a 10 second procedure. I adjust mine at every oil change.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:32 AM

Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Originally posted by sqzbox
Useually when the cable needs adj. it acks like it did when your cable came loose. The shift points are way too low under part throttle. I had to adj. mine when it started shifting into 2nd gear before I got 20 ft. after taking off from a dead stop. When you said it shoots past 4000 to 4300 are you saying it slips to 4300 or just continues to rev up to that point? If it slips, you could have internal problems more than I can describe being I'm not a tranny expert! Being your not having problems right now, and it seems to be intermitant, you might try changing your fluid and filter and add a can of Lucas transmission conditioner. I never was a fan of additives for tranny's because they never seemed to work but, I had a Dodge Dynasty that started shifting eratic and going into neutral while sitting at a traffic light in gear. I used the Lucas after a friend recomended it when I changed the fluid and it worked great. Good luck!
When I am flooring it from a dead stop, it shifts just fine 1-2-3 but then once I hit maybe 55-60ish mph, the RPMs are nearing 4000rpm and it feels like it was supposed to have shifted. What it does instead, while in the process of shifting is it feels like it slips for just a second then goes to shift. It doesn't redline nor even yellow line for all I know.