Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

How difficult can this project be? [Rear End]

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
How difficult can this project be? [Rear End]

ok here is the deal . i found a used rear end for my 91 r?s camaro. any way i want to know just how difficult this project could be,. perhaps any one who has done a rear end swap to there s please let me know all your expiriences on bolting up a replacment,.,.i have done trasmissions swaps and engien rebuilds but never even touched anything beyond the ujoints,. so on that note it is very important i replace this ride,. how long should this project take,. and what obsticles will i run into,. any and all help is thankfull
Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700-R4
I just swapped a fourth gen rear into my car so I would be glad to help any way I can while it is still fresh on my mind, but is this replacement rear out of a third gen or fourth gen or other?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R&R should take only a few hours. it's very easy and straight forward.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Car: 92rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
the swap is pretty easy, just make sure you bleed the brakes after you're done
Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
There's actually only a few things that attach the entire rear end to the car:

Brake Line (1 on driver side)
Panhard Rod (1 bolt on pass side)
Shocks (1 bolt each side)
Lower Control Arms (1 bolt each side)
Sway Bar End Links (1 bolt each side)
Torque Arm (two bolts)
Driveshaft

Before you start - get a can of PB Blaster - nothing substitutes for loosening those rusty bolts.

You want to jack the car as high as possible (place jack under differential, but not under sway bar), and place jack stands under the frame, just in front of the lower control arms. Remove wheels. Remove torque arm from diff housing - you'll have to lower some to get bolts out, but too much may bind the arm and make it hard to remove. Then, lower the rear so the shocks aren't compressed (but watch the brake line - don't stretch it, remove it from rear if needed). Remove driveshaft bolts (leave shaft in tranny to keep tranny fluid from leaking). Remove the panhard bar bolt, the brake line, the lower control arm bolts, the shock bolts, and the sway bar end links. Lower jack farther, and pull out rearend. Replace new rear, bolt it all back up. Bleed brakes, starting with pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front. Test drive, and bleed brakes again, and again, and again (once never does it for me lol).

Might consider new sway bar bushings and end links (poly maybe?) while you're there.

If you have over 150k miles, might consider fuel pump replacement, as your half way there as well (for the fuel pump, you'll need to start with a jack that will raise 18 inches at least, and jack it all the way, to wiggle the exhaust out).

Regardless of pump, while jacked up, might as well do the fuel filter at least - it's right there in front of lower conrol arm on driver side and only $7-10.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 PM

Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
allright

wow thanks amillion folks i realy am thankfull for all your help ,.no i am not gonna replace the rear with a fourth gen ,. although this is still a possibility,. but my only problem with that is im limited on funds for this project,.im still paying the county of sanbernardino for the fatty doughnut i made in the court house parking lot,.,.,.oh yea that rubber i laid will be there for quiet a while lol,.,.,. Anyway, there is something i think will happin to me i have heard scary stories of ppl having a nitmare of a time trying to remove the lower controll arm bolts i have heard that these bolts can bond them selves to somthing over time also leaving lil room to cut out??is this true and if so ,. where can i get new bllts befor i start this project,.,. also just f.y.i this rear end has over 220k on it...........
Thanks in advance
Cheyenne J
Old 04-29-2006, 03:42 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 408
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt/4.11
Cool I am glad to see this thread. I am getting ready to install a Strange 12 bolt rearend in my 89. Doesnt look to be to hard at all. Great info.