Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Pinion Seal Help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 350 - Approx 300hp
Transmission: 700R4 (Soon to be Built)
Axle/Gears: 3.73's & Eaton Posi
Pinion Seal Help???

I hate to display myself as a total idiot, but i am a bit intimidated by replacing my pinion seal. It is leaking like nuts. I just had an experienced rear end guy put in an eaton posi and 3.73's from my factory 2.73's. A couple hundred miles later and it is leaking like a screen door on a submarine. I am a bit intimidated on doing it. I know how but i just was hoping to get some real information on how to do this idiot proof, like step by step spelled out. My main concern is like putting the nut back on and overtightning it and crushing the crush sleeve more. HELP Please!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like to check preload before i take it apart and then set it back to the same preload, plus a touch more. i also like to measure the distance from the nut to the end on the pinion with the depth rod on a caliper, make a match mark on nut. remove nut, remove yoke, R&R seal. lube new seal ( my guess as to why it failed) install yoke, install NEW nut, check preload and depth, refill with oil if needed.