Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Transmission problem we think????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problem we think????????

Hi all,

I hope someone out there can help me here. I have a 1990 Firebird. 5.0TPi, 3 speed plus O/D auto box.

The problem is that it will not come to a stop without stalling, You can rev it all you like on the spot and it is perfect. Put it in any gear and drive off and it will stall when you try to stop. Although this only happens when it has warmed up.

Now, if you put it in gear and let it set off at tickover you can stop it and it won't stall. It only seems to happen when you drive it as normal. although if you set off then let it cruise to a stop it will keep ticking over. It seems to be when you are forcing the car to stop rather than letting it stop of it's own accord. All this happens at any speed, even 10 mph.

We have disconnected the torque convertor lock out solenoid to no avail.

This is driving us nuts, so if you can help it will be much apprieciated.

I you need anymore information please leave a reply or e-mail me and I'll gladly provide it.

Many thaks in advance,

Rob.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:53 AM

Re: Transmission problem we think????????

When you say that it stalls, do you mean that it kills the motor? It sounds like for some reason that the tcc is hanging up from what I can gather from your post. There are valves in the pump for the converter lock up function that could be causing this condition as well as in the valve body. You might want to get yourself a new lockup solenoid because even though you have unplugged the wiring it may not be mechanically releasing.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 AM

Re: Transmission problem we think????????

Yes, your correct, it does kill the motor rather than it stalls, will be getting a new solenoid and fitting to see. I wasn't too sure myself that it was working correctly.

Thanks for your help. Will post back if it solves or doesn't solve the problem.