Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

STUPID FREAKING 700R4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STUPID FREAKING 700R4

Ok,

so about a week ago my trans lost the ability to shift out of 1st.. No biggie, knew it was gonna be the Governor bushing (gear). The car sat, today I pulled the car on ramps and pulled the governor cover and pulled the assembly out. Found the gear completely sheared off at the pin, and some nice chunks of nylon.

But I am lost as to ..

1. If the rest of the gear remains intact in the trans or did it grenade?
2. If it didn't, how the heck can I get it out?????
3. And how can I get the governor cover back on without destroying it (no access to top side to tap it in)

I used a nice long piece of wire coat hanger to poke around and see if I could feel the gear or mabey pull something out.. no luck.

I just find it so freaking crazy that GM put a cheap nylon gear in the dang thing to begin with, nothing like a $10 plastic part to bring a trans to it's knees.

Any help welcome... I know I am not the only one to have this happen.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt
Re: STUPID FREAKING 700R4

take the tail housing off to see if the gear is still intact. if it isn't, then it is in the pan.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Agreed pul the tail housing and look . But also not if it shears the gear regularly ou may have a bad rear case bushing as the culprit.
Originally Posted by billabongo
Ok,

so about a week ago my trans lost the ability to shift out of 1st.. No biggie, knew it was gonna be the Governor bushing (gear). The car sat, today I pulled the car on ramps and pulled the governor cover and pulled the assembly out. Found the gear completely sheared off at the pin, and some nice chunks of nylon.

But I am lost as to ..

1. If the rest of the gear remains intact in the trans or did it grenade?
2. If it didn't, how the heck can I get it out?????
3. And how can I get the governor cover back on without destroying it (no access to top side to tap it in)

I used a nice long piece of wire coat hanger to poke around and see if I could feel the gear or mabey pull something out.. no luck.

I just find it so freaking crazy that GM put a cheap nylon gear in the dang thing to begin with, nothing like a $10 plastic part to bring a trans to it's knees.

Any help welcome... I know I am not the only one to have this happen.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Well I went to my local trans shop and picked up a new gear.. believe it or not.. $3 with tax!!! So I bought 3 for less than one from an online retailer.

What a pain in my butt that was.. while easy to replace, the tail housing was a #%@# because the stupid drive shaft has no slack to move it away from the rear pinion yoke.. SO i must have wiggled yanked and screamed at the dang car for like 30 mins trying to get it out.. in the end I found I could shove the shaft up to the floor then pull the shaft back and then pull everything down.

Opened the tail housing, found my gear!!! Man it just exploded when it sheared.. lucky for me the chunks were large so no little bits to worry about.

I blew the passages that go back into the governor with a air gun.. clean as a whistle. slapped it all back together and got the shaft back in no prob.. only to get it off the ramp and see a HUGE puddle forming under the car..!!!! ARRGGGG.. back on the ramps, found I had managed to puncture the stupid governor cover right where the lip was. Sooooo after dumping it back out and cleaning it and my favorite "Right stuff" sealant, I covered the small hole and stopped the leak, or so I hope..

It is still on the ramps until tomorrow to make sure it drys before back into service.

I will check the trans shop for a new cover too. It would be nice if the stupid thing was easier to get on.

But I still have to ask, what was gm thinking with the plastic gear???? Why can't they just use a bronze one? would eliminate the stupid problem all together