Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Crunch Crunch, Bang Bang....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crunch Crunch, Bang Bang....

My torque converter totaly bit the dust.
When you drive it, it sounds like someone is running their fingernails down parachute-style material, or scratching a record with the needle.
I was able to get 2nd gear back by taking 1st gear up to 4500rpm then letting off the gas, it would grab and break the rear loose... but I had no choice. Car was too low for the roll-back tow truck =P
I don't live that far from the shop, so I had some friends run blocker in front and behind me to make sure I got up there OK.
Tranny shop said if the converter is blown, then it could leave metal shavings in the fluid, which gets into the tranny... which will destroy it. They will probably want to get me to OK the rebuild... is this usualy the case with fried converters? Didn't seem like a bad tranny to me... mabey if they flush the fluid while the converter is out??
Help me out here

I'm thinking about going w/ one of the continental converters off that pro-built site (haven't been able to reach the tech guys yet). Any comments? B&M seems to have a bad rep for not-so-great lasting time...

I would be extatic if they called me back and it was something simple instead of a blown converter, but that's not oing to happen

Thanks

James