Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

How much $ to rebuild tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much $ to rebuild tranny?

Got the call from the tranny shop today.
They said my lockup wasn't engaging, so it generated too much heat and eventualy killed the internals of the tranny. Said it needed a complete rebuild.
He said "1400" I said Ummm...no. I called around, best estimate I got was 900 for a complete rebuild. Still sounds way high to me..and the tranny didn't act like it was dead (just sliped like mad 'cause the converter was shot to sh*t). Are they still trying to gouge me? I got them to agree to 900. They will NOT warrentee an aftermarket torque converter. They said they had one that was "higher than stock" but probably not by much (1400rpm? ack!). My only concern is that the stall speed will be TOO LOW for my motor (roughly 400 ponies from a 383 aluminum headed vette block) and will just kill itself.

Am I making the wrong choice in letting them rebuild it? It will have a warentee on it, but.....should I forgo the warentee for an aftermarket stall? I was thinking in the 2400 range or so...??

So, am I getting gouged/ripped off? If so, what should I do/who should I take it too?

Old 09-25-2000, 06:11 PM

Is it 900 for just the rebuild or the removal and reinstallation of the tranny also? I was quoted locally for about $500 - $600 for just the rebuild, I do the R & R. If worse comes to worse, just have them build it with a stock TQ and then slap your own on and if it needs replaced put the stock one back on. "Race" type TQ's can only put very limited extra wear on parts they just use it as an identifier to weed out people who will abuse the car, in which case, they shouldn't need to worry about if their work is good.

------------------
'84 Trans Am
Crate 350 - 4 bolt main, Holley 600 w/vac. secondaries now open element
T-5 - Stock with Zoom clutch and PP
Old 09-25-2000, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by 84FTA:
Is it 900 for just the rebuild or the removal and reinstallation of the tranny also? I was quoted locally for about $500 - $600 for just the rebuild, I do the R & R. If worse comes to worse, just have them build it with a stock TQ and then slap your own on and if it needs replaced put the stock one back on. "Race" type TQ's can only put very limited extra wear on parts they just use it as an identifier to weed out people who will abuse the car, in which case, they shouldn't need to worry about if their work is good.

It's for the whole shebang... they already removed it, they will rebuild it completely and re-install it. They will also re-use my trans-go shiftkit and add a 'vette servo for me If I want it. Altho, they won't warentee the tranny If I go w/ a 10" 2400 stall or something simmilar.

I figure If I begin to really race, i'll just plunk the money into a good converter and always have a near-stock back-up incase it goes south

Thanks for the reply bro.

Old 09-25-2000, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73
I had a similar problem with my tranny where the converter not engaging and burning up the rest. AAMCO quoted me at $1200 for a rebuild. I'm going to get a brand new TCI for the same price plus the cost of a converter.

------------------
'91 GTA with TPI 350 & T-Tops. Just a few mods, if you want to find out just line up next to me at a stoplight!
Old 09-25-2000, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by blacksunshine'91:
I had a similar problem with my tranny where the converter not engaging and burning up the rest. AAMCO quoted me at $1200 for a rebuild. I'm going to get a brand new TCI for the same price plus the cost of a converter.

TCI's aren't all that great man...
They are rebuilt cores just like the tranny shops are. If you want a killer tranny for that much dough, check out some of these custom shops (pro-built.net seems to be a good one). I talked w/ the guy from pro-built, he said TCI's were worthless (Had trouble w/ B&M stuff before, and have seen a "brand new" B&M tranny go up in smoke after 2 runs).
Just passing along info from what i've seen. I'm going to give the shop specs on how I want it built. Gona try to talk them into warenteeing (sp?) the tranny w/ a higher converter in it, but if worse comes to worse, i'll buy a vigalante or similar 9" down the road if I start using the go-go juice or blower.

Nice nick (too bad it was a mustang in the song huh?)

Old 09-25-2000, 11:51 PM

Probably about a 1 grand installed that is what I paid. But I got a good deal because the screwed it up the first time and it free spun twice today.

------------------
TPI 305,
Gutted airboxes,
gutted MAF,
K&N filters,
Corvette Servo.
14.9@93mph

"Speed kills, wanna live forever, drive a Ford."