Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Can't find 5th sometimes...reverse hard to find too!! Hard to shift since new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't find 5th sometimes...reverse hard to find too!! Hard to shift since new clutch

I put in a Ram Heavy Duty clutch with a buddy of mine, and ever since, it's been really hard to shift...at first, I'd have to shut the engine off to change gears...it finally loosened up a bit, but now it's easy to put in into 5th but it's just in neutral...I'm getting better, but it's hard to find 5th sometimes...and reverse sometimes grinds, sometimes doesn't...I still have to shut off the engine to get it in...is my T-5 shot? Is it a linkage problem? What the heck? Sometimes when I put in it first, it kind of slams in and jolts the car forward a bit...I don't think the clutch is releasing all the way, 'cause the car moves a bit with the clutch released and the brake off...what's going on?
Old 10-13-2000, 03:38 PM

the clutch is not adjusted right. I put bigger tires on my car and in turn uped the torque. It made my clutch go out really fast. My dad and I changed clutches, we did not adjust the clutch right. This caused my tranny to go to sh*t. I suggest that you adjust the clutch right (like asap unless you want to be on foot like me) and that SHOULD fix most of the problems.

------------------
91RS, 305, 5-speed, black with pearl white racing stripes.
Old 10-14-2000, 07:24 PM

Chevystud, let me guess, you ate up your syncros and started to grind in every gear?

It sounds like your clutch is not releasing fully. There are two major possibilites.

First, if you opened up the hydraulics, then you probably didn't bleed them correctly. You need to pump the pedal about 5 times and have an assistant hold it to the floor while you open the bleeder on the slave cylinder. Wait for all the fluid to stop coming out air likes to hide in there until the very last. Close it, come off the pedal slowly and repeat. ALWAYS keep an eye on the resiviour, if you suck air into the mastercylinder you'll spend another 30 minutes bleeding it.

Another common mistake is knocking the clutch fork off the pivot ball. There is a couple of metal tabs that need to go on the other side of the pivot ball to hold it on.

If you check those things you may want to check into flywheel shims and possible hydraulic failure.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 WS6 Trans Am T-top car
4-bolt main 350, headers, Holley 650, T-5 and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration
Old 10-18-2000, 03:43 PM
Banned

I had the same cluch in my car , and the same thing happened , the ram heavy duty cluch sucks , it hangs up on the fly wheel thats why its so hard to shift, sorry to say but it sounds like you have to do the same thing i did, pull that clutch out , i put in a centerforce dual friction , it works beutifull, tranyy shifts like its in butter, but trust me get it out, thats the whole problem. get a centerforse or a mcload, or even a stock one is better than the ram clutch.

------------------
Pino
91'Formula
LB9 305 TPI 5-speed
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5654/mur91.jpg