Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

rebuilding 700 r4

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding 700 r4

I just purchased a nice 1984 firebird for $50. 2.8 six, only problem is trany doesn't work at all. pulled tranny, What can I expect, I am going to try rebiuld myself. I am a competent mechanic (engines,aircraft,harleys etc.) so any technical advice would be appreciated, I already ordered a tech manual. thanks.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:41 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gm tech was going to do a tech artical on this but decided not to because of the limited usage. he said it takes way more skill than most auto trans and specialized tools most people don't have. if you do the r&r it should cost that much for a shop to rebuild. take a look at your book and decide. maybe someone else has doen it and can give you a more detailed answer. good luck

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 01-16-2001, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
Yeah, I was going to, but then I realized that I take for granted the resources available to me, and that the average DIYer would not have access to, so really, it would be useless for me to spend the time making and article on it. Thats kinda like the hot rod mags that say 12 second street leagal car is easy, here is how we did it. We started with a $3000 dollar engine, had a custom kanipity pin made which only cust us $900, then we had custom headers made and it was a steal at $1500, yada yada yada... Yeah right, the average DIYer drools for a minute, then puts the magazine back on the rack and picks up a Playboy.

If you say you are mechanicly inclined, thats a plus. An exploded view is a must so you can see in what order everything goes. The GM service manual (Helm) is the best, becauses it walks you through it step by step, shows you which way the bearings must face, wich way the lip seals need to point, etc... But then its starts rattling off about needing tool # J-14357, J-12345, J-67890, etc... and then you get lost. Some of the tools you don't need, some you must have. Thats why I didn't bother. But it can, and has been done in driveways. Just keep everything SPOTLESS. And don't force things together or you will tear seals.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey, 22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
-->14.97 @ 94.9 MPH<--

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 01-17-2001, 03:54 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I'm gona try it myself, BUT, I do know some people I can ask for help or turn the thing over to if I can't hack it. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and specialize in hydraulic pumps and motors. An automatic tranny is a hydraulic pump, right? I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2001, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I also have the Haynes "GM Transmission Overhaul" manual; it's a great pair with the GM service manual. Hayes' shows a lot of actual photos, and even shows you how to avoid buying some of the J-tools.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 01-18-2001, 02:31 PM

I did a 700R4 rebuild and I used the GTA factory service manual AND a 5 hour Video tape. that tape was GREAT, I did have to take the tranny to a shop for that last piston removal. They removed the piston cleaned(hot tank) the case and reinstalled the piston with my new seal and it cost ~15.00. Take extreme care to get all the clutch pack clearences exatly per the manual.
I used Fairbanks 2-3 clutch pack. 9 clutches instead of the stock 4. A fairbanks Servo and a Superior shift kit. and a few other "trick" things. I took an older VCR out to the shop and went step by step.
I love this tranny NOW- when I leave the shifter in OD the car drives with solid shifts etc. but, if I put the shifter into drive, now the wife will not ride with me. the car shifts so hard its scary. so the wife drives it in OD. and its a Kitten.
Do the research, get GOOD documentation, put in all the upgrades and get a Video.
of coarse this is all IMHO> thanks MIke

90' GTA WS-6 BLK/BLK
etc
etc
etc.