Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

problemsss

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problemsss

ok so i have an 89 trans out of a firebird formula and a 305 out of an 89 iroc. i have finally gotten the right torque converter, its a 10" ATI treemaster, and im using the flexplate from the transmission. my problem is i swear the torque converter is on all the way and i dont have enough play to bolt the engine and trans together. is there some sort of fitment issue? do i need a different flexplate? its a 153 tooth flexplate, and i could say 99.8 percent that i bolted it to the crank with the right side facing the engine. is there something im not missing? i need about another 5/8" to get them together. i am willing to entertain all possibilites, i need to get this done. thanks.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: problemsss

you bolted the torque converter to the flexplate then tried to bolt the trans to the engine?

Take the converter off the flexplate if that is what you did. Slid it onto the input shaft of the trans, once you think its on all the way, spin it around a bit while pushing un it. It will find the "spline" if you will, and drop on a little further. That should make the extra room you need.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: problemsss

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
you bolted the torque converter to the flexplate then tried to bolt the trans to the engine?

Take the converter off the flexplate if that is what you did. Slid it onto the input shaft of the trans, once you think its on all the way, spin it around a bit while pushing un it. It will find the "spline" if you will, and drop on a little further. That should make the extra room you need.
no i know the trans to engine is first. when its on all the way it will have no play, just spin right? maybe i just need to wiggle it a little more...