Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

shift problem..Probuilt and other 700R4 experts PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift problem..Probuilt and other 700R4 experts PLEASE help!

the 700R4 I had in my car would slip badly while shifting. For example, at WOT from first to second it wouldnt really shift, the motor would just slowly wind down into second. Thats really the best I can explain it, the shift takes at least 7 seconds. Also when driving normaly, it would slip for a few seconds while downshifting. So i picked up a parts car the other day, the trans was supposed to be good. I put it in today and i still have the slow 1-2 shift, but it doesnt slip while upshifting. I was thinking I should put a corvette servo in, hopefully that would help. what else can i do? also i need to get the TV cable adjusted the right way. Setting it all the way back then opening the throttle doesnt do anything. How do I correctly adjust it?

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 04-15-2001, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Either there's an internal leak in the servo area or the band is worn out. This would cause the 'winding down into 2nd' problem.

If this is the only trouble with the transmission and the vette servo doesn't help, changing the band is a very easy task without doing a full rebuild. All that might be involved is removing the pump and pulling the band out. It might be nessasary to remove the valvebody to get the pin out that retains one side of the band.

If the band was slipping and damaged the drum a new drum from GM is around $40 @ http://www.gmpartsdirect.com you want PN 8681295 for a auxillary valve body (post 87 1/2) 700R4. I don't know the pn for the earlier one.

Then swapping the clutches out of the old one and installing them into the new one will be involved. Still worst case is only 2 hours with the trans removed and a new band could be scored for $9 to $20 depending on the material/brand.

A good rebuild book would help but it's not really too involved. My trans did the same thing and the band was worn/pitted right down into the rivets (which scored the drum badly) so this could save you some grief and $.

Hope this helps.