Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 355 Chevrolet Small Block
Transmission: 700r4 B&M
700r4 Transmission Problem

Hey all,

Ok, I have an '84 Z28 with a 700r4 tranny and 355 small block w/ Holley 600 carb. The 700r4 is B&M and is brand new - only about 3000 miles on it and the 355 has around 6000 miles on it.

I had the transmission installed sometime in late May and I've been driving on it since. About two weeks ago, I took her to Miland Dragway and was running a lot lower numbers than my buddy, the officials, and myself were expecting. On my third run, there was a very hard shift out of first - harder than normal. So while I was heading to get my time slip I was hearing this weird clicking noise and I was informed I was leaking transmission fluid at the gate. Needless to say, I didn't run it after that.

Me and friend then went to a McDonalds - which gave the car some time to sit. When we were done, we checked under my car and noticed several oil spots. I checked the oil level and it was low - so I put a quart in and drove it back home.

When we got to my house I jacked up the car and crawled under to see what was wrong - if I could see anything apparent. I did notice my oil pan was slightly dented and the tansmission's bell housing was wet with oil. Some of the oil could have been when I put the quart in, I missed a little, but this was enough oil to alarm me. I drove it in the garage, put a pan under it, and left it for the night; only to come back the next morning with no oil leaks.

For the past two weeks, whenever I turn the car off there is always a small oil leak under it. There is also a weird knocking noise before it leaves first and second gear. The RPM doesn't matter when the knocking starts, but it is always right before it leaves first and second. There is no knock leaving third. Also, if it shifts too hard it feels like there is a knock in the transmission. I am thinking that could be the tranny mount.

Last night, I was driving it and started to hear a clicking noise at all RPMs. The noise was from the enigne bay - and I have no idea what that could be.

If anyone can figure out what could be wrong from my rambly story please, inform me. If more information is needed, I can supply it

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 650 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: 700r4 Transmission Problem

Check the torque comnvertor to flexplate bolts. More than one forum member has had this problem and they sounded similar to yours. And follow up on your transmission mount thought.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro, 99 cavalier, 85 s10
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700
Re: 700r4 Transmission Problem

Check the flexplate, I have cracked many of them, they make a weird knocking noise.