Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

servo cover, bastard of a cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
servo cover, bastard of a cover

ok, well from the three sources that ive tried to find out how to pry off the servo cover to put in my vette servo, the damned thing just wont come off! ive broken two screwdrivers trying to pop it off, and it has only moved two hair widths! im poed, tomorrow is my day off, and i dont want to spend the entire day just trying to get the damn cover off of it. of the three people i talk too, no one can give me a clear concept of what im trying to pry at, someone have a good way of explaining it?
Old 11-06-2001, 06:01 PM

Look at the notch in the case on the bottom, you can see the o ring, pry it out with a small screwdriver, pick or needle nose pliers and cut it, pull on one end of the cut o ring and the cover will almost fall off after it's out.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:39 PM

Take a crowbar and push in on the cover using the floor pan at pry against ... then have someone else use plyers and compress the snap ring so it comes out of its groove.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:56 PM

well crapo, if i break this ring it means i have to goto the chevy dealership, and i despise car dealerships...bah...any way i can reuse the o ring? i know it sounds shixy, but, im a cheap bastard.if im really careful can i get by with not breaking the ring? and, the oring seems to be metal, its not exactly gonna pop, it can take me hammering at with with a hammer and chisel...anyone know what i can ask for, i only get a single day off a week...so, i have a one morning widow of execution, i cant wait for the dealership to fabricate my needs,any suggestions? or part numbers so i may stoop
Old 11-08-2001, 07:45 AM

Go to salvage yard, etc. and look at the
servo cover. Push in the cover and remove
the steel retaining ring. Follow instructions
in above posts. Carefully lay out parts so they can be out in as they came out. Local tranny shop will have any parts you may need.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
There is a snap ring that holds that cover on and that must be what you are trying to get off. It is not a rubber O-ring and it is metal and needs to be removed before the cover will come off. As stated above, you need to push IN on the cover to release the snap ring, and remove it with a pliers and/or screwdriver. Once that snap ring is out, the cover will have some range of motion. You need to move the cover outward enough so you can see the O-ring that seals the cover. This is that O-ring that others have referred to. Once you see the O-ring through that channel in the case on the bottom of the bore where the servo assembly lives, you can do as Jay said and cut it and slide it out. That cover is a complete BASTARD if you don't do it this way.... That O-ring should not cost you much, even at the dealer, and they likely have it in stock. If not, any trans shop will probably just give one to ya for free... they probably have hundreds of them laying around... Once you get that O-ring off, the cover will slide out very easily... And you can get at the rest of the servo no problem at that point. Prepare yourself for the install of that cover with the O-ring on it and get some Transgel or Sil Glide to help that cover slide back in... It is a really tight fit (by design)....

------------------
1987 GTA L98 MD8
355, TFS Heads, LT4 Hot Cam
My GTA

The Minnesota F-body Club