Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

New starter Camaro only starts sometimes

Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L V8 305 TBI
New starter Camaro only starts sometimes

Ok I'm new to this but I have a 1991 Camaro RS 5.0L 305 TBI. I recently got the clutch redone and when I got off of work a few nights ago the car just screeched. I let off the clutch turned the key to off and gave it another try and it fired right up. I had a few spare dollars to drop on a durlast starter and slapped it in no problem I started it five times in a row until I tried to start it the sixth and all I got was clicking. It only clicked so I swapped the battery, cleaned the terminals still only clicking. I pulled it out hooked up a battery to it and it spun on. So it's not the starter. I checked the clutch pedal ignition lock and it's fine. I wasn't sure it was aligned so I stuck a piece of metal to let it spin on and it did then I went up and it started. Then when I tried again nothing. I ended up just loosening the dust cover or the observation cover on the bell housing and it actually started twice then I bolted it back down and then the clicking again. I really am confused I really need some help anything is appreciated.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Car: 1984 camaro
Engine: 2.5L 4 cylinder (151 Iron Duke)
Transmission: 4 speed Saginaw
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Re: New starter Camaro only starts sometimes

Originally Posted by Denricci22
Ok I'm new to this but I have a 1991 Camaro RS 5.0L 305 TBI. I recently got the clutch redone and when I got off of work a few nights ago the car just screeched. I let off the clutch turned the key to off and gave it another try and it fired right up. I had a few spare dollars to drop on a durlast starter and slapped it in no problem I started it five times in a row until I tried to start it the sixth and all I got was clicking. It only clicked so I swapped the battery, cleaned the terminals still only clicking. I pulled it out hooked up a battery to it and it spun on. So it's not the starter. I checked the clutch pedal ignition lock and it's fine. I wasn't sure it was aligned so I stuck a piece of metal to let it spin on and it did then I went up and it started. Then when I tried again nothing. I ended up just loosening the dust cover or the observation cover on the bell housing and it actually started twice then I bolted it back down and then the clicking again. I really am confused I really need some help anything is appreciated.
Clicks means not the starter. I had a bad ground preventing ignition once and the distributor can also prevent ignition. Do you always get a click and if so does it ever sound different?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Replace the starter.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM

It now clicks sometimes and sometimes you can hear the starter spin without making contact with the flywheel. If you click it on and off it sometimes making a gringing sound.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Starter is bad.

Replace it.

Should be under warranty.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 AM

I'm gonna try to replace it the next time I'm off.