Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

transmission problems/TV issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
transmission problems/TV issues

just upgraded my trans. 87 700r4.

trans was working great when i took it out, it was rebuilt less than 30,000 ago. at that time upgrades were all new clutches, transgo no yoyo shift improver, billet servos, boost valves, B&M kickdown valve, deep pan, raptor blood trans fluid, external trans cooler. TIME FOR THE UPGRADE TO HANDLE MY 500hp 383 HSR.

upgrades now

left clutches alone, upgraded 3/4 clutch pack to 9 clutches borg warner, new 2-4band, pro built trans go shift kit with ALL the goodies!, beast sun shell, new 10vain pump, new stator, upgraded heavy duty checkball. raptor blood and B&M trick shift fluid. new 2900 stall converter.

my issues are that the thing wont shift right... i tried adjusting the TV cable via the instructions on tech articles here. cable on the TB is tight, i push the D shaped button in and pull the wire all the way back. i then let go of the button, go inside and go full throttle, TV cable clicks and adjusts itself. heres the problem, cable has alot of slack in it now. when driven, shifts are non existent and u cant feel the shifts but it goes into gear softly.

i tried setting the TV again and again with same issue. doesnt even shift when i get off the pedal, but i did feel it shift 1-2 above 30mph when i was coasting with foot off the pedal. it was barely even noticable but this is when i didnt adjust the TV with full throttle pedal but like 80% throttle as max.

IDk what the problem is... will the 2900 stall make the shifts like poop until or above 2900? am i adjusting the TV wrong? this thing used to kick like a HORSE when it shifted and shifted perfectly before rebuild.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc-Z28 Camaro/84 BMW M Power
Engine: 350TPI/ S50
Transmission: t-5 five speed/ 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi/ 3.73LSD
Re: transmission problems/TV issues

I would try reseting the TV cable again becuase their shouldn't be slack in the cable part. You should be able to adjust the cable with out going insde the car. IDK how exactly you were doing it but those instructions in the tech articles are a little vague if you know what i mean.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: '96 T56, Hurst Shifter, Mech VSS
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I had the same problem where it would have a lazy shift feel and shift way past the red line if i pushed it.

I adjusted it the exact same way you did. Pushed that D thing went WOT inside the car, but i added one more click (tword the front of the car, added about 1/16") and it has been perfect ever since.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28 Camaro/84 BMW M Power
Engine: 350TPI/ S50
Transmission: t-5 five speed/ 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi/ 3.73LSD

Yea 700r4 are weird with TV cables. Their different than TH350 TV if you try to adjust it like a TH350 tv it won't work.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

i called dana from probuilt he said that alittle slack was ok at idle. i took it for its first drive today ran like poop but it was loud and angry anyway. 1-2shift was wayyyy early still (reajusted the TV like 3 times) 1-2 shift couldnt even be felt really you could just hear it. 1-2 shift was at like 10-15mph. also (i have mega shifter) when in manual 1 gear.... without me shifting to 2nd the 1-2 shift would take place anyway at 10-15mph. i would then shift to 2nd and it felt like sticking my hand into soft whipped pudding (through the shifter of course)

good thing tho is that 2-3shift would happen when i wanted it to in manual shift mode. the trans has a total of 5miles on it since the upgrade as of today. Dana said i have to manually shift it and keep the speed low and RPM low to get the air outa the system for the first 10-20miles. i only did 5 today bc i didnt like that way it was running... id rather fix the shifting issue. the shifts are SOFT tho (they were neck snapping before and i lovedddd it)

so i kept it under 3000rpms and under the stall speed so that could be why their soft.

HERES THE GOOD NEWS!
i got sick of the shifter, shifting outa park etc was harder than usual and the shift into manual 1 was kinda iffy as far as not being in 1 fully... (would explain the 1-2 automatic soft shift) SO i jacked the car up and crawled under the car in the rain to see what the deal was. I figured id try to adjust the shifter cable on the trans. i loosened the cable nuts up and pulled it off the "selector lever" to see that there was 1/8" to 3/16" of movable play in it!?! whaaaattttt! thats alot of movement since its in the same direction of the cable shifting motion. I went to tighten the "selector lever nut" and found that it wouldnt tighten any more. Now remember i took this off the trans and didnt touch the "selector lever" or its nut. SO the nut or the shaft is stripped! greatttttt

i couldnt get the nut off or tighten it anymore so i was in a bind. I AM NOT RIPPING THE TRANS PAN OFF FOR THIS! i tried for an hr or so trying to push on the bracket/nut with a screw driver and take the nut off.... NOTHING worked!

Lets just say i got it to work, i did something im not proud of, but there is NO MORE slack I adjusted the cable (well didnt have to) and tested the shifter. WORKS LIKE IT USED TOOO!!!! works great and is easy to shift as well as goes all the way into manual first again!! WOOP WOOP

i will post results on shifting etc tmrw, since its 2:40am and my car sounds like an airplane