Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

help, clutch/brake pedal assembly removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Gta Trans Am
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: 3.47 02 SS rear end
help, clutch/brake pedal assembly removal?

Im still in the process of converting my trans am to a t56. I found the clutch and brake pedal assembly in the local junkyard and its in a 86-88 camaro. I got my brake pedal assembly out of my trans am, its no joke, but it finally came out, otherwise it wasnt impossible.

The camaro on the otherhand, i cant figure out. Its got the same bolt pattern (4 15mm bolts on each side with a 13mm at the top), but its got two little bars that on each side of the pedals, once of which sits in front of the 2 bolts on the right side. I cant tell if these are connected to the pedals or the dash.. If they are part of the dash ill just cut them with bolt cutters, but i dont want to hurt the assembly. Does anyone know?

I had to take my seat out and lay in my car upside down to get them out of my trans am. I cant really do this in the camaro. Its always wet and moist, its go mold in the carpet, rats nests galore.. shudderr

Hopefully i can just cut the two little bars and use a crowbar and pry the dash out of it and get em out. I was going to pay $50 to have the junkyard get them out for me, but none of the guys could do it. So he told me if i can get them out, i can have them and pretty much anything off the car.

So that being said, if anyone needs parts hit me up. Its an 86-88 camaro, 5.0 carbed, with a t5. Everything is in tact. I might take the rims...

Anyway sorry for the long post. Im just really fustrated. I really appreciate the help you all have given me, thanks alot guys.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Car: 1985 camaro Z/28
Engine: 305 V/8 4bbl carb
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3-23 posi with 4 wheel discs
Re: help, clutch/brake pedal assembly removal?

hi, from what i understand,,the two bars on the side of the brake-clutch assembly are needed ...those two holes with the bars hold down your master slave assembly connected to your clutch pedal..,,at least for a T5 anyways...then in between those 2 holes youe need to make a larger hole in the middle for the assembly to pass through the firewall below the booster to hook up to your clutch pedal..don't cut anything yet!,,,btw ,,,do you have the clutch pedal safety switch off that junk car ...the one for my T5 so the car won't start in gear?....thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mooch1
hi, from what i understand,,the two bars on the side of the brake-clutch assembly are needed ...those two holes with the bars hold down your master slave assembly connected to your clutch pedal..,,at least for a T5 anyways...then in between those 2 holes youe need to make a larger hole in the middle for the assembly to pass through the firewall below the booster to hook up to your clutch pedal..don't cut anything yet!,,,btw ,,,do you have the clutch pedal safety switch off that junk car ...the one for my T5 so the car won't start in gear?....thanks.
where is it located and what does it look like? Ill try to get it tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Ilike2stroke383
where is it located and what does it look like? Ill try to get it tomorrow.
Forgive me for butting in... but you're going to need that switch for your own car... for the same reason.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Car: 1985 camaro Z/28
Engine: 305 V/8 4bbl carb
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3-23 posi with 4 wheel discs

hi , it's a little push switch that is hooked up on your clutch pedal..it almost looks like the one for the brake lights that is located on the brake pedal...this switch prevents the car to start in gear and killing someone!!,,,thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 PM

Its no big deal about the switch. Im not installing it in my car. I drove a 99 f250 diesel with a 6 speed for a very long time and it didnt have the safety switch. I never killed anyone and only started it in gear once haha
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Car: 1989 & 1990 RS V8 TBI
Engine: 305 5.0 L
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by ternandes
Forgive me for butting in... but you're going to need that switch for your own car... for the same reason.
are those safety switches really necessary? I dont have on on my Camaro or my Celica and i've never had a problem...