Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Idea's for performance automatic later on

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idea's for performance automatic later on

Alright, the 700R4 in my '92 RS V6 is good, but it doesn't shift into passing gear until nearly 4k RPM, which is about 500-1k RPM too late. Usually I've let off by then.

So, is there any way to modify the trans so it shifts quicker without doing a full rebuild? It's a solid trans, was rebuilt for something, not sure what, but it was wrecked and never got installed, so it was given to the PO's of my car.

Shift kit maybe?

I may later on yank the trans and do some performance mods, after I sort out some other issues. Like the electrical issues I've mentioned in previous threads.

So, any recommendations for how to setup the auto for a guy who likes to lead foot it? I'd like to keep overdrive, so I'm keeping the 700R4, I'm lead footed getting to speed, but usually I pop it into overdrive once I'm up to speed and cruise or coast. So I need a trans that can get me up to speed quick.

I've considered a manual, but, I don't know how to drive one, and I don't really have the time or a vehicle to learn on now. So that isn't an option, but if I learn it later on, I will consider it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's
Re: Idea's for performance automatic later on

get a shiftkit that allows manual control in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear ranges but is fully automatic with the shifter in od

a nice upgrade is a tq conveter out of a blazer or s10 pickup which will give u around 2500 stall. this conveter is good for very mild v6 engines, but once u start getting into ported heads cam and headers and or nitrous or turbos the conveter is no good.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Idea's for performance automatic later on

I'm not gonna use a turbo, or nitro, and I don't have the money to mess with the cam or headers. Thanks for the advice, what your recommending is the old school Hurst lightning shifter style setup? My father knows of a company that sells them, but won't I have to custom fabricate a shift panel plate for it? If so, is anyone good with fabricating stuff like that? I can pay for it, so long as the price isn't absurd.

EDIT

http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=console-megashifter

How about that thing? Looks pretty interesting, form fit for a F body. Should make it almost like a manual without having a manual.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 01-21-2012 at 11:36 PM.