Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 shifter linkage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
700r4 shifter linkage

Well first let me start by saying I have never worked on or with transmission related issues before. I have helped and worked on engines a decent amount. But I'm still learning. This is my third 3rd gen camaro that i have given a home.

CAR INFO

This car is a 1989 IrocZ with a THM700-R4 (MD8), 5.7 V8 (L98).
I was told this car was driven until the transmission went out. It was parked still running but sat in storage (Id say under a tarp) for 11 years. Some thieves stole the radiator and parts. Rats chewed on wires and pooped in various places.

MY CURRENT ISSUE

Now when I got it the trans would not Shift into any gear from inside the car. I bought another transmission believing my current one wasn't usable. I took the shifter linkage off the transmission and I'm able to move it into all gears it seems. So I got in the car to try to move the shifter and nothing. The shifter **** wasn't plunging down on anything to move the shifter assembly. Am I missing a piece to my shift ****? I want to say there's a white plastic piece missing from it. There was no staple.

Also Is my shifter linkage still good? the boots on it move.

And how do you remove it from the bracket? (Shifter linkage)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 700r4 shifter linkage

Originally Posted by zombi_360
Well first let me start by saying I have never worked on or with transmission related issues before. I have helped and worked on engines a decent amount. But I'm still learning. This is my third 3rd gen camaro that i have given a home.

CAR INFO

This car is a 1989 IrocZ with a THM700-R4 (MD8), 5.7 V8 (L98).
I was told this car was driven until the transmission went out. It was parked still running but sat in storage (Id say under a tarp) for 11 years. Some thieves stole the radiator and parts. Rats chewed on wires and pooped in various places.

MY CURRENT ISSUE

Now when I got it the trans would not Shift into any gear from inside the car. I bought another transmission believing my current one wasn't usable. I took the shifter linkage off the transmission and I'm able to move it into all gears it seems. So I got in the car to try to move the shifter and nothing. The shifter **** wasn't plunging down on anything to move the shifter assembly. Am I missing a piece to my shift ****? I want to say there's a white plastic piece missing from it. There was no staple.

Also Is my shifter linkage still good? the boots on it move.

And how do you remove it from the bracket? (Shifter linkage)
Did you ever find where to find the little bushing that goes inside of the shifter cable linkage that hooks up to the trans?