Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 shits to OD (4th) with shifter in D (3rd)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROCZ
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R
700r4 ***** to OD (4th) with shifter in D (3rd)

700r4 ***** to OD (4th) with shifter in D (3rd) it may be the adjustment where the cable connects to the trans but all the other shift positions are correct. If it was not the adjustment what are some other possible causes?

If you want to read a rip off story continue on:

I'm Dan 58 year old dad of David who is 19 and away at college. He likes his IROC, shiney red, getsalot of compliments and an occasional note on the windshield from people wanting to buy it.
When I was younger I like many here liked to do all my own auto work but sadly my hands, back, neck..dont agree anymore. As for David he does not have the wrench gene so for larger jobs I am at the mercy of
my towns repair shops and that sometimes does not work out well.

Before Thanksgiving 2013 took to shop to replace blown head gasket then
during Thanksgiving break David drove it and brought car home with 3rd gear and OD blown.
Note: The trans was in need of a rebuild before head gasket was fixed for slipping.
Also found injector leaking gas, wiggled it and the leak stopped.
Informed shop of leak and they requested to bring it back.
Since it was at the shop they agreed to take the trans rebuild job use a reputable trans rebuilder.
The engine shop removed and replaced the trans and the trans shop did the rebuild.
Driving home I noticed no passing gear and the trans shifted from 1 to OD before 20 MPH
When I got home I parked and under the car was at least 1/2 quart of transmission fluid.
Called the shop and they requested that I bring it back. It was leaking from the passing gear
cable o ring and the shop sent a guy to get the part while I waited for an hour. Also noticed a puddle of trans fluid where the car was parked when I picked it up
Took it back home and it still didnt shift correctly and returned to shop.
The engine shop took the car to the trans shop and when it returned David was home for winter break.
When we picked it up the drivers side floor, door handle, drivers seat, steering wheel were covered in grease along with a
scratch on the drivers side fender that was estimated at over 400 dollars to fix. They had also changed the passing gear cable
with the wrong part that was zip tied on and binding on the distrubuter cap. The car had been driven 90 miles was out of gas
and the brake master cylinder was almost empty and leaking. Note: The master cylinder may have had a leak before but I didnt notice it.
The shop gave the car back with a near empty master cylinder and didnt say a word..
After the car was home I cleaned up the grease and changed the master cyclinder and David drove it a little through winter break.
After winter break took it back with a written request to not use the trans shop agaiin and to:
1. Put on the correct passing gear cable
2. Fix passing gear
3. Fix slipping and incorrect shift points
4. Correct issue where it shifts to OD when it is in Drive
4. Professional clean the interior
5. They were also going to get an estimate for the fender repair
After a week got a call to come and drive it. They had removed the trans and taken it to the same shop that I asked them not to.
Before I left for the drive the asst mgr told me to put some gas in it because they were going to be driving it alot. During the drive the passing gear
worked but the shift points were off and slipping, it still went into OD when in Drive, nothing was cleaned, and no estimates done for the fender.
When I returned from the drive talked with the owner and he stated that the trans shop will not pay for the fender. That he and his mechanic had driven
the car and the trans was working fine. He said when in drive it didnt go into OD. On the fender he wanted to have a guy he knew fix it and that he would remove
the fender to do it. Also the asst mgr thought the dent was there before they did the work.
After I went home I decided to cut my losses and just get the car back.I just needed to admit that I was screwed and get away from these crooks.
Went back the next morning and picked up the car and asked for my money back. The owner offered to do whatever it takes but I just wanted to bring it back home.
I cant help but think they all had a good laugh and high fives all around for screwing another sucker while they counted my money..
I think they used the slow roll tactic where you bring the car back and they keep it for weeks and do little or nothing until you finally give up.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 700r4 ***** to OD (4th) with shifter in D (3rd)

Sounds like the TV cable (or as you call it the "passing gear cable" which it is most definitely NOT) was never adjusted properly. If one continues to drive it misadjusted you can burn up the clutch packs in short order. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a GM (AC Delco) cable. The after market ones don't seem to cut it in my experience. This is my preferred method to setup the TV cable: http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_C...etup_Info.html
Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 700r4 ***** to OD (4th) with shifter in D (3rd)

That sucks please be sure to post there info up to keep others from falling into the same trap. Sometimes you as a consumer are powerless but reviews can definitely make or break a business in this day and age... Hope it gets fixed properly soon,
Good luck