Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Drivers side 9 bolt bearing fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side 9 bolt bearing fitment issue

Has anyone come up with this problem? Changing the bearings and seals in an 88 Firebird 9 bolt BW. The passenger side went without a hitch. Then I took out the drivers side axle, removed the old stuff, pressed on the new stuff then noticed that the seal I just removed didn't look like the new one. It looked the same as the passenger side one, with rubber on the outside.

I read every post the internet had to offer about replacing the 9 bolt seals and also have the service manual. According to all these things I am installing the correct parts. Timken 224255 seal on driver side, Timken 710179 seal on passenger side and Timken SET9 bearings on both sides.

Took the axle out to the car and noticed that the seal and bearing I just installed was not going to fit in the housing since it was thicker than the old set. Looked inside the housing and saw what might be the problem. Is this ring inside there something that can come out? As far as I can tell it's the same distance I need to seat the axle in the housing. I can't find any other reference to an extra ring/race used in these axles. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Drivers side 9 bolt bearing fitment issue

That ring is part of the housing end. It's not removable. That is what the bearing seats against.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. Although it's good to have an answer, that means that there's no way the correct part will fit. Oh well, it's not the first time this car has defied logic. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Can anyone tell from the photo if this is the correct orientation of the grooves for a drivers side axle seal? Wondering if the PO used a passenger side seal. Thanks
Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

I don't have my notes with me right now but the factory calls for a different seal left and right. One of them is discontinued and the parts house lists the same one for both sides. I believe the oil groves inside the seal you are showing is the difference. I couldn't tell looking at my old ones any difference. I put the same one on both sides and they are not leaking, at least I have not noticed any leaks.
I was concerned about this too but it didn't seem to make a difference and the "new" one looked functionally like the "old" one did. You may try to contact "9-bolt.com" to see if he offers any advice.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks. It looks like what was done here too. They both look the same. I'll try 9bolt. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt BW

i recollect having run into this, with the Timken seal being too thick. had to order a different brand. sad part is you have to press the darn thing off to swap it out, ruins the steel retaining collar, another SET9. i can't remember if it was a Federal Mogul or National that i replaced it with.

later on, i did order another Timken 224255, and it was the correct thickness. so i don't know what's going on.

end result, i've got a couple of perfectly good SET9's with no steel collar.

not having rubber on the outside isn't an issue, use black (or your favorite) RTV and put a coating on before assembling into the axle housing.