Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Possible bad pilot bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Possible bad pilot bushing?

So I'm getting a strange whine/squeal coming from the clutch/trans area, and I can easily feel the vibration in the shifter. Happens when the car is IN gear, and the clutch is NOT engaged/pedal on the floor. It's not a grinding sound, but when it happens, it's fairly loud and un-nerving!! I haven't "stayed in it" so to speak to see what happens, but a quick shift into neutral stops it. Going right back into gear and all is fine. Had the car out for a few hours this AM, and it did it twice. Once while stopped as I shifted into R, and once at about 50mph. I pushed the clutch in to shift and it happened....I immediately released the pedal and it went away. Pushed the clutch right back down and no issues, it shifted smoothly.

It's happened about 5 or 6 times total over the past month or so. It's a TKO, and for what it is, the trans is smooth as can be expected. No issues. Clutch is a Ram HD with probably 500 miles on it.

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73
Re: Possible bad pilot bushing?

Sounds like the pilot bearing. Next time it happens see if it stops as soon as you let the clutch go in gear. It can only make noise when the engine and trans are not moving the same speed. If you use a roller bearing you can't let that keep going.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Next time it happens see if it stops as soon as you let the clutch go in gear.
I will pay attention and do that. ...it DOES however start IMMEDIATELY with either the pedal being pushed in OR, pedal already down, and I place it in gear. Both would suggest pilot I think.

If you use a roller bearing you can't let that keep going.

I do NOT use a roller. Too many horror stories. ...with a bushing, if it's not doing this very often, am I ok? ....or does it have to come out regardless. Most days it doesn't do it at all. Today it did it twice. Gonna drive tomorrow, and of course I'll be lookin out for it.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73

The bushing must be dry. If it's not very old Input shaft may not be going deep enough. When you get a chance to pull it out you should be able to see for sure from the wear pattern how deep the input shaft goes into it. I had to get a extended bushing for mine.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of cheap junk pilot bushings out there now. If a magnet sticks to it then don't use it. You want a bushing that is made from oil impregnated bronze. The cheap junk that's out there now has iron in it and they can damage the input shaft of your transmission. If you can't find a good busing local then contact AGE AutoGear and get one of their bushings.