Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

pinion preload with used bearings question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: LG4
Transmission: Auto
pinion preload with used bearings question

I have a 10 bolt and my yoke is soaked with gear oil and dripping on the ground, so I want to replace my pinion seal. I had a shop install new gears and bearings about 10 years ago. I followed my manual and removed my rear drums and driveshaft, then borrowed a friends snap on inch-pound dial torque wrench. The manual said to measure the preload on the pinion nut before removing. I am getting between 1.5 and 2 inch pounds on the dial as I slowly turn the wrench. Thats with the differential and axles still installed. Are my bearing bad? My manual said used bearings should be around 10 in lbs. Thanks
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: pinion preload with used bearings question

You can't measure pinion bearing preload with the differential installed. Too many other things creating drag.

Many times a pinion seal will leak because the pinion nut backed off. If this is the case then measuring the preload is completely useless. Put a torque wrench on it and set it to 150 foot pounds. See if the nut gets tighter. If the nut doesn't move then you have other problems.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Agreed - for seal replacement just set the nut to 150 Ft/lbs. This is enough to keep things tight but not cause additional crush on the crush sleeve. It's usually around 20in/lbs for new bearings, and 5 - 10in/lbs for used bearings. But to check it you should remove the carrier (and driveshaft obviously).

Rick
Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: LG4
Transmission: Auto

Yep, the nut started moving under 100 foot pounds. I'm going to tear everything out and check the bearings.