Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 Issues

Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: 5.0L 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4
700R4 Issues

I have an '88 Camaro that's my daily, 305 TBI, 45k on the odometer.

It was running alright, if a bit rich, and idling inconsistently, but shifting smoothly up until a few days ago. Shifts started coming a little late, but I wasn't sure if that had to do with the engine bogging down because of the TPS or something else. a day or two later, rather suddenly, I got kicked out of 3rd, and haven't been able to get it to hold gears in drive, except occasionally 1st and rarely 2nd if I baby it.

I replaced the bad TPS and adjusted it, which brought the idle down and leaned out the mixture quite a bit. It now idles smoothly and sounds great, but did nothing to help with the shifting, not that I'm surprised. TV cable is tight at WOT, and returns without issue. Haven't pulled the pan yet on the trans, but the fluid was a bit low and looked more like the color of fresh motor oil. Topped it off, but it didn't help any. Now even in 2 it slips unless I baby it.

I'm on a tight budget due to recent events, so I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Need my wheels to get to my job to make money to fix the car so I can get to work, etc. Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: 700R4 Issues

The 700R4 is purely mechanical and if the TV cable isn't your issues (sounds like it's adjusted), then all you can do is change the fluid and filter and see what happens. A pan magnet inspection, and cleaning of the governor and throttle valve is about all that is possible without major disassembly at which point you are probably looking at an overhaul.

You can try for a used one maybe. I scored a nearly unused race trans for $1k from a friend. Craigslist, ask around shops in your area, etc.

GD

Search this Thread