Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TKO install: Won't go into gear. Loud Squeal. Now all is well. ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
TKO install: Won't go into gear. Loud Squeal. Now all is well. ???

So as of earlier today, and about 25 miles, car is running perfect, but I'm perplexed as to what happened initially. Here's the rundown.

Installed a TKO a few months back. Ran great, but had some noise I tracked down to the pilot. I've heard this before, and upon removal and inspection, I think I was right. This time around I also installed the Lakewood blockplate and a new Pro 5.0 shifter. First time I cranked I couldn't get it in gear. did some reading, found I (probably) needed an adjustable pivot ball to account for the block plate moving the trans back slightly. Likely not getting enough disengagement, and the PP and clutch disc are still together. I installed it this AM, and no luck. Same thing. Trans in neutral, clutch pedal down, won't go into gear. Shifts into first with the car off just fine, just not when running.

...so with the rear up on jackstands/wheels off, I cranked it with the pedal down, but the trans in first. My wife (spotter, lol) said the wheels moved a little, and then we got a squeal that sounded very similar to a belt squeal, and then from then on.....everything works as expected, including a long test drive this afternoon.

Thoughts? My only guess is that something between the input shaft, clutch disk and pilot bushing wasn't jiving. Honestly, I don't have the experience to know. Curious what you guys think.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: TKO install: Won't go into gear. Loud Squeal. Now all is well. ???

Could be a burr on disc splines.
Squeal tends towards TO brg.
Run it and enjoy it and worry when you need to again.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 AM

Run it and enjoy it and worry when you need to again.
Yup.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Please give us the run down on the TKO install. There's plenty of t5 guys around interested in the TKO upgrade.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM

I think there's a few different ways to do it, including adapters kits, etc. etc. I pretty much just bolted mine together and and fudged the areas that weren't quite "perfect".
-I used the Lakewood 15020 bellhousing, and as mentioned, if you install the block plate, also purchase the adjustable fork pivot ball. Hydraulics were the same.
-I used a UMI crossmember, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't necessary. it fit without issue.
-The UMI torque arm fit right in the factory bracket/bushing, although the mounting point was about an inch farther forward than the T5. No issues though.
-The output shaft has 31 splines. You'll need to swap yokes, or better yet, get a new driveshaft all together!
-The TKO is a little taller too, and some have had to bang a little clearance room in the tunnel. I honestly meant to do this but completely forgot! I can see it's close, but my driveline angles checked out, so I'm running it as is. The adapter kits do move it back slightly, and I can see that if I had used the kit, I would've needed to massage the tunnel.
-Had to buy a mechanical speedo adapter for my 89 speedo.
-I'm running the Pro 5.0 power tower shifter too. Had one on my t5 and loved it. Tremec shifter was not impressive. I have about 250 miles on the TKO, and 25 miles on the Pro 5.0, and man, it's night and day.
-The biggest headache by far, beyond just muscling the trans around while on my back was the shifter location. Without those adapter kits I was telling you about, it sits way too far forward and too far right. The hole for my t5 wasn't factory because mine was an automatic originally, which made it worse. between the t5 and tko, both holes cut by me, you could pass a small person through the hole!!!! ...had to make a plate to cover it. AND....had to make an adapter to relocate the shift lever. You have to come off the actual shifter towards the driver FIRST, then back. First time I tried it, I did the opposite and ran into the indentation for the parking brake handle. Of course that trim piece wasn't there until I test drove the whole thing and found out it would hit! ....worked THAT out, and then noticed the 1.5" x 4.25" piece of .25" aluminum that I made the bracket out of hit the ash tray! Again...didn't notice until I put the shift plate on!!! You can see the angled front corner to clearance the ash tray! All in all it wasn't hard, just frustrating, especially taking the console parts in and out, which always sucks.

Overall, nothing to it. Much easier than the 700r4 to T5 swap 5 years ago. Used a RAM HD clutch. ...not as silky smooth as my Hays clutch, but nothing to complain about, and I think over 500 holding power. I'd be luck to have 400, so I'm happy.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Very cool thanks