Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

axle shaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: LG4
Transmission: Auto
axle shaft installation

Do used axle shafts have to be installed on the same side as they were removed from? I have my rear end disassembled and overnight someone thought it would be funny to take all my parts and thrown them into the bushes across the street. So now I dont know which axles was originally installed on the left/right side. Thanx
Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: axle shaft installation

Originally Posted by firestorm
Do used axle shafts have to be installed on the same side as they were removed from? I have my rear end disassembled and overnight someone thought it would be funny to take all my parts and thrown them into the bushes across the street. So now I dont know which axles was originally installed on the left/right side. Thanx
Technically no, but some would say (myself included) that it's preferable to do so.

Your axles are the inner races for the axle bearings. They supposedly "wear" together with the bearing that they've been running in.

However, I think you could get away with a mismatch. I mean, what's the alternative at this point? Replace both the axles and the bearings so that you know they're matched?

You have a 50/50 chance of getting them matched up correctly again.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Since you have the axles out and obviously will be replacing the bearings and seals before you put them back in like any sane and sensible person would do, and checking them carefully for any signs of wear at the bearing race location and replacing them as well if there is any, it doesn't matter.