Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 No Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
700R4 No Gears

Hello all, Ive usually always lurked on here but this issue seems unique and I can't quite find any fix before I have to resort high dollar fixes.

So, Here's the backstory. I've done a 383 gen 1 swap into a 1988 iroc 305 tpi. It had a replacement 88 700r4 somewhere down the line as there are shipping markers on the bell housing.

But before all that we put a TCI shift kit in it even went through the boost valve in the pan issue after that was seated properly even with the 305 it bang shifted and chirped the tires, I was impressed no signs of fading , felt brand new, after all that we parked it in the garage still obliviously a very functioning transmission.

Then starting the swap process I also decided to get a torque converter, I bought a 12" TCI break-away 30 Spline lock-up converter filled it with the required 1 quart seated it on the 700r4 shaft with 3 clicks fully seated on the pump shaft then mated it to the engine had proper spacing about 3/8 inch of gap between flexplate and converter before bolting it, then seating it to the flexplate firmly after bolting it in done and done.

Fast foward a month or two the engine is in tv cable is on a correction bracket tuning etc etc first turn over we forgot about the cooler lines and it made a mess just turning over for a few seconds so it definitely had pump pressure.

Fast foward a few more weeks also to note the trans never ran dry infact its maybe even a quart over full with the engine off, Installed a B&M Megashifter and had to reuse the old selecter lever as a spacer for the b&m one as the threads stopped too loose on the new bracket. Also installed a Trans cooler, ran new lines etc.

Now my issue is Ive got park and neutral but nothing else even ran the engine for a few minutes cycling gears to see if it would fix the issue but nothing..... So Im really stumped, perhaps the linkage was too tight and it holds the bracket just in between clicks or it was too tight and broke something inside the mechanism? but then again if that were the case I doubt id have Park nor Neutral... just stuck in whatever was selected.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: 700R4 No Gears

Try putting it up in the air and shifting it with the linkage disconnected?

Rick
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM

I'll head out to the garage in an hour or so and let you know.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Alright sooooo, found the issue... nothing is being pumped through the cooler lines, I can blow through and hear it bubble in the transmission now this points to the pump however it seems so unlikely to me that it would just go bad like that especially since the converter was installed perfectly, no clattering no noises, nothing ... so anyone have insight on what else could cause no pressure in the lines before I start the process of undoing everything?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

just a few ideas.
could pull the pan and see if the filter fell off. it's kind of the pick-up.
low fluid level.
might need a few washers between the flexplate and converter? 3/8" is too big of a gap IMO.
broken converter or flexplate-to-crank bolts?
broken pump, (hopefully not).
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Yeah I'm hoping if it is the pump its just the front or maybe a gasket.
and sorry I meant more like 3/16 spacing barely any movement when snugging it to the flexplate all bolts are fine torque converter spins no wobbles or grinding with a brand new and tested tci. fluid level is right on.

But yeah I have my hopes that it is the filter and maybe it fell off but the way things go, its most likely something within the pump, I just hope its not sent metal everywhere but there was never any sounds or grinding so here's hoping. regardless ill look at the pan and valvebody in a few days.