Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

2.8 falling on it's pretty Camaro face when warm - Shifting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
2.8 falling on it's pretty Camaro face when warm - Shifting problems?

Hey guys I'm having a weird issue on my Sport Coupe, The car gets up on it's feet pretty well after first starting up, but after a bit of driving it acts like it's lost power and will barely accelerate. I'm worried it's shifting relating, as it really happens after I shift into REVERSE, then back into DRIVE. Unrelated or not I had an issue with PARK yesterday where it wouldn't lock the car's wheels in place and would roll, but stopped when I applied the parking brake. I attributed this to the fact that I've just done a full brake job and maybe the rear drums were not fully adjusted, so I did some backing up and stopping and all seems well now.

I had this problem earlier and attributed it to my front right caliper locking up, it had a rotted rubber line. New lines and brakes later the car stops on a dime (tho the brake pedal goes in a bit, maybe I'm not used to not having a blocked brake line yet ), the car is still falling on it's face after shifting a gear then back.

I'm hoping it's not transmission related, but what do you guys think?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Re: 2.8 falling on it's pretty Camaro face when warm - Shifting problems?

Park has nothing to do with your brakes at all. Sounds like maybe the tranny is starting to slip.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 PM

You're right I forgot it locks the tranny, not the brakes
"starting to slip" won't make me breath any easier tho....
I just remembered, when it was first doing this it was low on fluid, I'll have to check that tomorrow. I also have an occasional rough shift into reverse, I blamed that on high idle....
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 PM

Definitely something up with shifting, drove around fine in DRIVE for a bit then starting losing power, saw a bit of white smoke too

I checked the fluid level and it's in good operating range, if not a little bit over. Something's not shifting right, PARK is now locking the trans, but I tried pushing the car in NEUTRAL and it wouldn't budge. Maybe something is up with my parking system? Sometimes not parking, other times not coming out of park, and while driving locking up the trans and cutting my power? If so I don't like where this is going....
Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 PM

I'm doing more research and investigating on the car, so far I've found-

-My TV cable on the throttle is broken.

-The rubber boot around the shifting cable where it enters the body is broken, and causing the cable to sit a little low. Maybe this is throwing it out of whack?

-I can push my lever into some gears without depressing the ****, and all the way up from 1 to NEUTRAL. I think this is just how the shifter is designed and nothing to worry about.

Any ideas guys? I'd like to get under the car and see if I can kick the transmission into NEUTRAL manually, any tips how I can do this? I've heard I'm looking for where the shift linkage connects on the driver's side of the tranny, Thanks in advanced guys