Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

No reverse/whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No reverse/whine

I have a 1992 Camaro RS 305 with 700r4 transmission. today while out, I was trying to turn around in someones driveway, and my car wouldn't go into reverse. it would apparently go into drive and beyond and back to park but no reverse. I wasn't sure at this point if the shift cable was damage or not and at that point wasn't listening to any whine or apparent whine over my engine. well, after getting it pushed back onto the road I could go into drive and drive off and I drove it home. however, I did notice it shifting later. maybe up to 3000 rpms, or if I just sped up slower I could get it to shift at a lower RPM. felt like it was caught in 2nd, but was able to get it to 2500 rpms at 60 mphs, so maybe in drive but not overdrive. got it home and jacked it up

cable didn't seem kinked nd seemed to shift into gears. so I turned it on and when I put it into reverse I could hear a whine that would go away when you take it out of reverse. not sure if I notice it in the other gears.

I have changed the fluid in the past, within the last 2 years tho. they wouldn't flush it out so I had to just change it myself and filter then. fluid doesn't appear low. but to be honest seem to act different after I had changed it back then.. ive had a whine at certain RPMS in gear for a long time. I had just changed out the rear axle, checked backlash, preload etc. seems to do it more afterwards., but would never hum in neutral or park.a

before going instantly to a new transmission/rebuild. what else can I look into? I can try and change out the filter and transmission fluid. an easier job and cheaper if I do it (and I have before). could it be something else? any ideas is appreciated. thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No reverse/whine

So I just went back out, add a little bit of fluid and tried it again. still whines with no engagement in reverse. I push on the gas slowly and the whine gets louder. it goes away once taken out of gear
Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro z28,1997 camaro lt1
Engine: 355 afr 195 heads,tpis big mouth
Transmission: 700r-4 built by me 3-4 z pack
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: No reverse/whine

Sun shell broken