Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 - does not shift, burnts smell...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Firebird 1991
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 4Speed Automatic
700R4 - does not shift, burnts smell...

Hi Guys,

I have been trough a engine rebuild and when we got the engine back, we also had some time and replaced the old trans fluid with DEX III trans fluids and we gave the 700R4 new filter as it should be.

We took it for a short drive to "break in" the engine, and all went fine. However after like 10 miles, the transmissiopn just stopped shifting up. As the engine is full rebuild I don't want to risk and rev it up above 3K so we did not tested it any further. But before that it did shifted in OD normally.

The bad thing is we started to smell someting similiar to burnt oil. So we checked the trans oil level and the smell was pretty strong so we think it was coming from the transmission.

All cables were in place for the 700R4, TV cable is fastened and was noit adjusted, the Lock-up cable was at place, no mechanical changes were made in the transmision. Its a quite good one has only 65K miles in it, it was saved from a mint car.

Any Ideas what to check or what could have gone wrong? Is it saveable?

Much appreciated for your help!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:12 AM

Car: Pontiac Firebird 1991
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 4Speed Automatic
Re: 700R4 - does not shift, burnts smell...

Okay, so good news, we found that the O2 sensors cable burned as it touched the exhaust pipe, so the smell seems to be coming from there.

From here maybe I can check other options too.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again

Best suggestion is to get a 0-300 psi gauge and on the driver's side of the car is a 1/8" pipe plug above the manual shift lever about halfway to the top of the trans. Confirm that you have pressure and that it increases when you give it gas. That will tell you if the pump is ok and also that the TV cable is connected correctly. Also posable if a cheap trans filter is used that it's collapsing under load.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Did you drop the pan and replace only two or three quarts or did you flush the trans by cutting into one of the coolant line and doing a pump-out/refill flush?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

When you reinstalled the engine did you make sure the convertor was seated properly? I have killed a pump before on a stinking front wheel drive Cadillac because I failed to notice the converter had slid ever so slightly forward when I split the trans case from the engine. I replaced the engine and the torque converter was forced back into place by the flexplate and me running the motor to trans bolts back in with air tools........busted pump and I had to drop everything from the bottom again and replace the pump........it was a bad day
Old 08-13-2017, 02:52 AM
Banned

Just adding my two cents: Once upon a time I changed out my shifter cable and didn't have it adjusted properly so when I was in reverse, or really any other gear, what the shifter thought was fully in gear, the transmission did not, so basically I was in between gears, which caused a whole.mess of burned clutches and stuff inside the transmission. Symptoms including slowly losing gears - day 1 was fine until I lost 4th. Day two I lost 3rd. Day 5 I lost 2nd. Properly adjusted shifter cable is very crucial to the life of your transmission.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Did anyone notice he said the "TV cable was not adjusted". Therein lies the problem...