Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans AM WS6
Engine: 383 Vortec TPI, PUTS SMILES ON FACE
Transmission: PATC LVL 3 Raptor Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 POSI 9 BOLT
700R4 problem

we i believe my valve body is sticking but could be a fluid problem too.

so when she was cold not running the fluid of my transmission shows about a quarter above the hot mark... (seems low to me)

started and checked it when cold it wasn't even showing on the stick at all.. that seems very low.

after 15 to 20 min idling she got up to temp for sure and I than checked the fluid again.. it was a quarter up the min and full mark, so it seems low but I would think it should still be ok as its between the lines when warm... am I wrong??

so what shes doing is she wont shift until higher rpm. there is no transmission slippage, it just wont shift until higher rpm42-4500rpm..

but sometimes it wrks perfect and it shifts into overdrive...

I think its sticking because as I was playing with the tv CABLE you can feel the cable engage as you pull it out while the car is on.. (is the best way I can describe it) after pulling it out its like it wont go back unless I pull on it a couple of times than I can feel it again...

any ideas would be great... I thank you.

if its just fluid than sweet.. if its the throttle vavle body sticking... I'm not sure what to do... please help.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Re: 700R4 problem

ok so sure as a mug it is my valve body sticking as you pull on it, she will stick....

so took it to our best transmission shop and talked with a tech there.. he suggested I get some (LUBE GUARD) .. it comes in a red bottle...

I will say after I put it in and about 20-30 minutes of driving I didn't have the problem anymore.. that stuff works great... she shifts great and am now happy... I know no one replied but I saw a couple people looked at this post.

just thought id let you guys know so if you are running to any problems with your transmission try this lube guard stuff. its like magic.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 305ci TPI

Congrats on the easy fix, I'd never get so lucky. My 3-4 packs went out. There's like two paychecks I'll never see again.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM

that really sucks... not sure what symptoms that has. but I feel I was dang lucky.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 305ci TPI

It wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. I had a top speed of 25mph... vroom vroom
Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by Ragin
It wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. I had a top speed of 25mph... vroom vroom
lol i can get up to 60mph in 2nd gear...
Old 08-29-2017, 02:56 PM

lol ya im good in that department.

I have a level 3 raptor transmission from PATC and wow it is an awesome transmission.

ive had it for about 3- 4 years and I drive it like a muscle car, I like to flex her torque off the line at red lights etc.etc. and even some light racing. I get great fuel economy as well and just 2 weeks ago took her to the track and my buddy has a 5.7 TPI Iroc with basic mods and I still pulled 2 1/2-3 car lengths on him in my lb9... I have more stuff done to mine but was fun. the last time I ran him I beat him by maybe half a car. ive done some good work on my lb9 since than and happy with the results.. than he had an auto LT1 corvette and I was actually amazed on how well my car did. he only beat me by half a car in his auto LT1 vette. I did that with a LB9... also my tune was a little wack at WOT being my AFR was hitting 10.1 wich is really bad... I bet I could close that gap a little more when I get it dialed in. cant wait for my 383 vortec though