Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Locking diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28 T-top
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/ 3.42 mini-spool
Locking diff

I have a locker differential in the car. While it makes a ton of traction in a straight line, it also makes city driving really annoying, as I'm sure you could guess. It's my daily driver. Considering a posi, but I'm just not sure what to look at. I have a 10-bolt rear end off a 2002 camaro. Trying to figure out all the pros and cons before the investment. What's your advise before doing anything? I go thru tires faster right now, I know that, and high speeds around turns probably isn't the safest with this dif. Am I right?
Old 09-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Locking diff

I'm not sure what you mean by locker. There are several lockers that work fine on the street. I've got a Detroit Locker in my Camaro, a Lock Right locker in my '99 S10 and a Yukon Grizzly locker in my '02 S10 and they work fine on the street and off road.

If you are talking about a mini spool or a welded rear end then you need to get rid of that. You are right, it's dangerous and hard on rear end parts.

There are several good limited slip differentials for the 7.6 rear end. The Eaton Posi is a very popular clutch type differential. The Yukon Dura Grip is a copy of the Eaton Posi. The Eaton Truetrac is good on the street and for auto cross. You could find a used Torsen. Just don't get a Eaton Governor Lock or a Auburn.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 PM

I'm sorry, I meant locked* differential. It's a mini spool.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

That 2002 Camaro rear likely has a Zexel Torson center section. Highly recommended. If this is for your '83 will need to also step up to 28 splines axles. Just double check that it is a 3-series carrier, so that your 3.42's will bolt to it (should be).

RBob.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
That 2002 Camaro rear likely has a Zexel Torson center section. Highly recommended. If this is for your '83 will need to also step up to 28 splines axles. Just double check that it is a 3-series carrier, so that your 3.42's will bolt to it (should be).
RBob.
thank you RBob, that's a lot of stuff that I don't really know enough about. I wish that you lived in my hometown so you could take a look haha. I do need to find somebody knowledgeable to ask exactly what parts would fit my current setup. I would love to just buy and throw in an Eaton posi.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Remove the cover and take pictures. Post the pictures here and we can tell you exactly what you have.

As for replacing the differential, you can't just throw one in. You will have to shim it to get the backlash and bearing preload correct, assuming that you use the same gears. If you are also changing the gears then you will be setting the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash.