Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 rebuild problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 305ci TPI
700r4 rebuild problem

I just got my transmission professionally rebuilt and have had my car back for about 4 days. In addition to being rebuilt; I asked for Kevlar clutch packs, a secondary transmission cooler, and a performance pump. At first everything was fine. I noticed that the orange flag didn't line up quite right with the gear on the center console but, I didn't think to much of it. Then I noticed that when I put the car into reverse there was a slight lag in the gear change. And finally a hour ago it just plain old wouldn't shift into second (still have first and reverse). I was not abusive to the transmission and I called the garage to verify a break-in period and they told me to take it easy for the first week. I've been driving my Camaro like an old man and I've not used more than 1/2 throttle. I was able to get it into second gear twice on the way home 15m drive in 1st gear). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I do plan on calling the shop on Monday but, I'm going crazy over this right now.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: 700r4 rebuild problem

Sounds like a lot of other transmission rebuild experiences. You have to be super careful about the rebuild process on an automatic trans - there's about 1000 easy mistakes than can ruin the job. You'll now be in the unenviable position of trying to get it warrantied. Hopefully they only have to redo the job one time. Many horror stories of people having to take the car elsewhere and try to get their money back, or having the shop "rebuild" it 3-10 times to get it working.

That said, these transmissions are CHEAP. You can buy a performance built trans for less than $2k. R&R is easy - only takes a few hours.

GD
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 PM

I do have a 12mo/12k warranty on it. A fault a few days after I have gotten the car back says to me, "improper rebuild." I asked for the meatier clutch packs because my 3-4 pack went out. The pump was recommended by the garage owner and I also wanted the trans cooler because my car can get up to around 240° when in traffic. I tried to bullet proof it but, it looks like I'm going back. The real issue now is getting the car there. I live in a small town where no one rebuilds auto trannys. It will be a hour long trailer trip this week.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:15 PM

I forgot to mention, when accelerating it continues to pull in gear and it doesn't know when to upshift. I previously had a clutch problem where it would act like the tranny was in neutral instead of going into gear. This isn't that problem. I think it might be a poorly adjusted TV cable but, why would it work fine for three days then not work on the fourth? Clearly I'm not a transmission guy so if anyone knows about these symptoms please shoot a reply.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Upshift timing is largely controlled by the governor. Could be sticking possibly. It's easy enough to take it out and check it for any binding, etc. The reverse engagement delay smacks of low line pressure in reverse which could be other things sticking maybe...... first thing to check is line pressure, and of course fluid level and filter condition. But I would say none of this is your responsibility.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM
BHR

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

never heard of break in period after a trans rebuild it should be around 30-50 miles and checking fluid levels before hammering on it
Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM

It turns out that there was a torn seal in it somewhere. The tranny needs to be taken out though. It could be done as soon as tomorrow.