Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vibration issues

I have this issue with my 1982 firebird, and it stumped me. When I drive, I have consistent vibrations that I can feel while sitting in the car. They're most noticable around console area, so I thought it might be an issue with the transmission and driveshaft or some sort of linkage between them. I figured there are many people on hear who have way more experience than I do, so if someone could point me in a direction as to what might be causing the problem, that would be much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 ls1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Vibration issues

I can tell you I had the same issue with mine when it was all stock, I changed out the 200c transmission to a 700r4 and installed an aluminum driveshaft and the vibrations went away and was smooth as butter going down the road, I don't know which caused it for sure but easy enough to locate an aluminum driveshaft from a 3rd or 4th gen car and try that first, but upgrading to overdrive is a must if any highway driving imo.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2knight
I can tell you I had the same issue with mine when it was all stock, I changed out the 200c transmission to a 700r4 and installed an aluminum driveshaft and the vibrations went away and was smooth as butter going down the road, I don't know which caused it for sure but easy enough to locate an aluminum driveshaft from a 3rd or 4th gen car and try that first, but upgrading to overdrive is a must if any highway driving imo.
I have thought about throwing in a 200r4 at some point in the future, but it's not in my current budget. An aluminum drive shat does also sound nice, but it is also not in my current budget. I'm looking for a little cheaper alternative (if there is one).
Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Originally Posted by Olson82Firebird
I have this issue with my 1982 firebird, and it stumped me. When I drive, I have consistent vibrations that I can feel while sitting in the car. They're most noticable around console area, so I thought it might be an issue with the transmission and driveshaft or some sort of linkage between them. I figured there are many people on hear who have way more experience than I do, so if someone could point me in a direction as to what might be causing the problem, that would be much appreciated.
Check the engine mounts and the transmission mount on the cross member. Additionally, check the u-joints for wear.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ironwill
Check the engine mounts and the transmission mount on the cross member. Additionally, check the u-joints for wear.
I was thinking it was the u-joints, but I never thought much about the motor or transmission mounts. What should I look for when examining them and what sort of wear should I be on the lookout for? I'm not a master mechanic of any sort, so simple terms would help a ton.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Originally Posted by Olson82Firebird
I was thinking it was the u-joints, but I never thought much about the motor or transmission mounts. What should I look for when examining them and what sort of wear should I be on the lookout for? I'm not a master mechanic of any sort, so simple terms would help a ton.
Look for any tears or separation between the rubber and the metal parts of the mounts. Old mounts that have been covered by leaked oil are a prime suspect. Put a floor jack under the trans tailshaft and carefully try to see if you can lift the trans off the mount.

Engine mounts can be checked by observing the engine for upward motion when you apply the brakes and give the engine some gas while in gear. Use caution here.

Unless a u-joint is totally trashed, the driveshaft usually has to be removed in order to check them. Look for obvious play or roughness as you move the joints through their range of motion by hand. Additionally, a locked-up joint will require replacement.