V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Dual Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 03:05 PM
86bird_28v6_5spd_ramair

Dual Coils

with my month or so of hair pulling. fuel pump,relay,filter,EGR,TPS and it all turns out that Accel sure makes a crapy external coil.

now the HEI version I have never had trouble with.

I am not going to spend another 60 bucks to have a coil not even last a year.

So since it is external I thought I would just run dual coils insted of another accel one.

get two Wells 11.99 coils from autozone and splice them in.

I have done this on many cars that had an external coil ,except the HEI Gm and a 79 duster that did not like it.

I learned about it when I had a 68 ford galaxy 500 302. it ran like a beast, I could take 5.0 sticks easy, by time they got to the top of second, here I come screaming by.

but it needed a lead addtive and ate plugs like no tomorrow.

but anyways, two wells coils should be equal to one accell coil and give me the spark I need. and also a fail safe if one goes.

I will get new cap and rotors and some 8.8 wires. making a dual wire is not that hard.

anyone think of any problems that could occur, not just cause you dont think it will work.

what all does the computer do with the coil, do I need all four wires hooked up.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
The computer uses the coil as a "bridge" to connect the two connectors together. Inside the coil, "A" of the gray connector is wired to "A" of the black connector. "B" of the gray connector goes to "B" of the black connector.

"A" is the coil's negative (-)
"B" is the coil's positive (+)

I don't know if I'd worry about the computer so much as the spark module. The gray connector holds the ignition system power (from the ignition switch), and the tach output. The black connector wires back to the module. I think your only concern would be something shorting out between the two coils, and sending a spark back into the module... but I"m not sure. Why not ask on the tech board?

Let us know how it goes! Did you call Accel? Maybe they'll replace the coil for free, as long as you have the receipt. Was there any warranty inside the box?