V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

how do you do a tb bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm working on finding some 3.1 heads to mess with but I can't find a single pair that doesn't look like someone beat it with a jackhammer and I'm definitly not going to work on the pair that's on the engine right now even if I keep it very mild.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:35 PM
Banned

1st off svt wile dont you read the post when did i say anything about removing the heads or putting in a cam. if you have something to say about my ability to work on cars (expert mechanic) i am i worked at cook street auto in simpsonville i probroly did more than you have dreamed of!!
sounds to me like you have been reading too many hot rod mags

2nd if you want to talk sh*t about v8 go into apperiance and detaling and look at my pics i got all the v8 u need b*tch

3rd if you are so concerned about what gm did to make you car run right why the f*ck would you concider doing any mods to it ( it might screw it up)
im not concerned so if you do not agree with it thats all you have to say! dont get me wrong i appreciate your thoughts and keep them comming that what this sight is all about RIGHT?

plus any thing that i can spent less than 20$ to get a gain out of something is worth it to me! Why whould i spend all this money on a cam and roller rockers when i will be installing a v8 by the summer?

thank you for all of opinion's

Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 06:30 PM
Banned

Then if you are installing a V8 in summer WHY bother with a TB bypass? Damn dude not to **** on your thoughts but ITS POINTLESS! Go ahead, do the mod then come post what results you got because I know first hand what they will be.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by Nixon1
Yeah....hell I'd LOVE to put a camshaft in but I dont trust my mechanical abilities enough.. Sooner or later I'll probably do the roller rockers though. But another thing..correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't you insert the camshaft into the engine after you take the camshaft sprocket off, behind the timing chain? That's like, in the front of the engine..and wouldnt there not be enough room to clear the fan and radiator to insert it?
You're 100% right... and you might want to remove the radiator anyway for extra room. Since you've gotta take the water pump off to get to the timing chain cover to get to the cam sprocket to get to the cam, you've gotta drain the radiator of antifreeze.

Snake/Monkie, I don't recall Xcelerate ever saying that he expected horsepower out of this mod. Is that why you did the mod? You keep talking about results; you're the only person that asked for them.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

What other perpose does this mod serve other than hoping to get power? None, what it doesn't heat up the TB in the summer? So what. What perpose does it serve? The coolant gets recirculated anyways so no point in doing it for that
Old 01-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Yeah... I'll do a cam way way down the line..for now, repairs. I get in my driveway today and guess what, the car won't turn over again! I fly into a fit of rage, punching the side of my car, and cursing at my starter. Lol....but I hook up the charger and run it to 50 amp start, and she fires RIGHT up...the battery has voltage but no amps. So it's on a 10 amp charge right now and taking me on a trip to Walmart tomorrow to throw even MORE money into it.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

By the way...the point of this website and message board is to HELP people, right? Not to criticize what they want to do, or put them down, or anything. It's ok to state your opinion, and to say that it won't do anything for you..but if they still want to do the damn TB bypass, that's up to them, and we, being a community here, should try to help them do it. RIGHT??
Old 01-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Snake32v
What other perpose does this mod serve other than hoping to get power? None, what it doesn't heat up the TB in the summer? So what. What perpose does it serve? The coolant gets recirculated anyways so no point in doing it for that
Can a moderator please bann this -------- before I lose my cool against him and get banned. At this point he's obviously either tremendously niave or he is intentionally causing problems.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Ya know Snake, disabling EGR's doesn't increase power, either, nor does removing air conditioning systems, but people do it, and not because they expect power, either.

Nixon, man, ouch, don't hit the car; kick the tires... they don't dent. Just don't kick the rim by accident or you'll break a toe and be even more mad!
Old 01-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Well see, my feet are more sensitive than my hands.. And my shoes arent too thick..so my toe would be in much pain even kicking the tires. And I didnt punch it hard enough to dent it..I punched right over the fender well... And...I thought removing the a/c did gain power? It IS eliminating an extra pulley, right? Although granted it mostly only sucks power with the compressor on, obviously...but still, I thought every pulley helped? Thats why I ALMOST took my smog pump out..but decided to keep emissions legal as well to keep my resale value up.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:05 PM

Power isn't the only thing that modifications give. Throttle response, changing the torque curve, all of that makes the car quicker by using the available power better.
David
Old 01-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Well, I usually stay away from these posts....but I'm bored. So bored that I decided to look at some of my old posts from way back when I didn't know a damn thing......and lookie what I found! 5 HP from a TB bypass!!!!!

Originally posted by Monkie
Oh, I was just guessint numbers. I was going by the TTAs they weighed 3440 lbs. And I went by the Z28 exhaust could give me 5hp (dynomax says they give you 10) and I figured the cold air gave me 10 HP. Thats 15 right there. And the TB coolant bypass give you 5 HP so thats 20HP more. So I was just guessing. But Jason it still hurts my feelings you went to the bad side...
Page 3: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...5&pagenumber=3

Last edited by CaliCamaroRS; 01-02-2003 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably need to remove the radiator and maybe condenser to take your camshaft out. I know the v6 is a bit farther back, but that's how it is on a v8. You even need to move the support bars in the front facia to put a cam, and those are probably a good 6 inches behind the radiator.

As far as banning, I don't see why. He's got a valid point, the throttle body gets heated up from the heat of the engine sooner or later anyway. He's not the one that is calling people names, only making observations any of us could. You need to learn to deal with people that hold different opinions than yourself. Perhaps that's why you've been banned in the past? Were you banned, Snake? Or just changed names?

Tom, You're right about the egr. In fact you could say that removing it could reduce power by reducing the amount of timing available. I have no evidence, but I would say that the air conditioning does rob power from the engine. Why else would compressors disengage at WOT in new cars? All else I can think of is spinning too fast and damaging something, but if that was the case older cars would probably have the same feature. I'm unsure about that, though.

I do grin when I see "throttle body bypass" listen in some mods lists, but there's nothing wrong with that. One would think that this mod would be beneficial only after the engine warms up, but before it has run enough to heat up the intake. So the effect is only temporary. You'd need a pretty sensitive *** to feel any difference.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TomP
Ya know Snake, disabling EGR's doesn't increase power, either, nor does removing air conditioning systems, but people do it, and not because they expect power, either.

again disabling EGRs does nothing. They are their for smog. Hell when I got my car mine was bad and I fixed it and no difference at all. I guess the air was cleaner. Removing the air conditioning system loses weight. There for making you that much faster
Old 01-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by rezinn

As far as banning, I don't see why. He's got a valid point, the throttle body gets heated up from the heat of the engine sooner or later anyway. He's not the one that is calling people names, only making observations any of us could. You need to learn to deal with people that hold different opinions than yourself. Perhaps that's why you've been banned in the past? Were you banned, Snake? Or just changed names?

I've been banned, only for fussing with people back and forth on the street racing board. But I don't take offense to what V6 guys say on here. Hell I got a V8, I'm the enemy to them. And a Ford none the less! I've been there guys here hate V8 owners trying to help them. I'm just trying to save someone some time with doing this mod. Instead of doing the TB bypass go to Lows or somewhere and make you a cold air intake.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by AFreaknGoodTme
Can a moderator please bann this -------- before I lose my cool against him and get banned. At this point he's obviously either tremendously niave or he is intentionally causing problems.
Ban me for what? Posting my tech opinion? Lose your cool bud, what are you gonna say? My car sucks? :sillylol:
Old 01-02-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I JUST WANT TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR RIGHT NOW, THAT REMOVING THE EGR SET-UP ON THE V6/60 ENGINE IS STUPID!

The EGR system, obviously.. recirculates exhaust gasses through the engine again. This serves TWO purposes. 1) to burn any unburned fuel / air in the exhaust, and 2) to help cool the engine. That's right... the EGR HELPS cool the motor internally. It helps keep piston temperatures down. It's a vital component to the engine and isn't just for emissions.

TOdd
Old 01-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by rezinn
Tom, You're right about the egr. In fact you could say that removing it could reduce power by reducing the amount of timing available. I have no evidence, but I would say that the air conditioning does rob power from the engine. Why else would compressors disengage at WOT in new cars? All else I can think of is spinning too fast and damaging something, but if that was the case older cars would probably have the same feature. I'm unsure about that, though.
There was discussion a Long time ago on the Prom board about the necessity of EGR to avoid pinging. Might go better with what 82T/A's talking about with exhaust temp, but they said the ECM cuts back a little on fuel, since the EGR enrichens the a/f mix. So the guy said it was possible to run lean if the computer "thought" the EGR engaged, when it really didn't. Either way, I don't recommend unhooking it either, it only engages at high speed and low throttle- when you're just crusing down the highway with the windows down, music up, and your hand on a chick's leg. When you go to WOT, the EGR turns off.

And A/c can't steal horsepower if it's turned off! When the compressor's off, the a/c clutch disengages the pulley.

For the record, my car has a bypassed TB coolant line, a functional EGR, and no air conditioning. I scored a heater-only box last summer, this summer, it'll go on, and I can eliminate the last part of the a/c system-- the evaporator aganist the firewall-- and be an extra pound lighter.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Banned

Ban me for what? Posting my tech opinion? Lose your cool bud, what are you gonna say? My car sucks? :sillylol:
Any one can post pics of their daddy's car. By the way, You don't want to f*ck with my Vette cowboy- I'll eat your daddy's little corba for lunch. On a road course, dragstrip or autocross all with the same suspension setup!

Shall we put now put our dicks away and get back to the subject of Camaro's and firebirds?

Last edited by AFreaknGoodTme; 01-02-2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Banned

Yea, let me drive over to Cali to race your stupid ***. You would probably turn out to be a 15 year old little boy that just got his permit. Sit down please

BTW you sound like a ****ing idiot and you're the one that changed the subject, not me oh great one.

Edit: I just looked at your past posts.
About the fifth time. I will try not to get kicked off this time.
Yea you're really worth my time to come out there. Nice corvette

Last edited by Snake32v; 01-02-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Banned

I love these frikin out-of the-box hot rod Ford idiots! This is what your talkin' sh*t to dumbass. The Camaro is just the wife's car.
Attached Thumbnails how do you do a tb bypass?-vette1-001.jpg  
Old 01-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Banned

I would like to see a picture of that Vette next to your Camaro, or your wife's camaro as you put it. Two things, 1 that picture is very old. and 2 I looked and you have never before talked about a Corvette on here as I can see and you post 85% in the V6 board. So that gots me wondering. And smart guy, I never once said I could beat "your" corvette. So how bout you sit down and STFU? I think it would be for the best
Old 01-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Banned

I could also give a clown like you a run for your money in my daily driver work truck. Most of my posts are on the suspension board, I just have a little fun on the v6 board now and then, mainly keeping a look out for headers.
Attached Thumbnails how do you do a tb bypass?-1-2-03-003.jpg  

Last edited by AFreaknGoodTme; 01-03-2003 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Monkie
And I went by the Z28 exhaust could give me 5hp (dynomax says they give you 10) and I figured the cold air gave me 10 HP. Thats 15 right there. And the TB coolant bypass give you 5 HP so thats 20HP more. So I was just guessing. But Jason it still hurts my feelings you went to the bad side...

Page 3: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...5&pagenumber=3 [/B]
Jeebus Christ Africkin, I toss you some ammo and you don't even load the gun?!?!?!?! He used rice math for christs sake!!! .....BTW, funny how he took daddy's car out of the sig.

Last edited by CaliCamaroRS; 01-03-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Banned

I could also give a clown like you a run for your money in my daily driver work truck. Most of my posts are on the suspension board, I just have a little fun on the v6 board now and then, mainly keeping a look out for headers.
Picture of them side by side
Old 01-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CaliCamaroRS
Jeebus Christ Africkin, I toss you some ammo and you don't even load the gun?!?!?!?! He used rice math for christs sake!!! .....BTW, funny how he took daddy's car out of the sig.
So he is an old trouble maker on these boards. I love the crap from these kids when I show cars and they call this B.S. flag- like an older guy with some heat can't own a little V6 camaro also- Its my favorite car to drive believe it or not. It handles like a go-kart.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CaliCamaroRS
You're holding me to something I said over 2 years ago. :sillylol: thats funny. Oh and yea I took my dad's car out of my sig. Doesn't matter my car is neck and neck with his anyways.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Banned

So he is an old trouble maker on these boards. I love the crap from these kids when I show cars and they call this B.S. flag- like an older guy with some heat can't own a little V6 camaro also- Its my favorite car to drive believe it or not. It handles like a go-kart.
I'm an old trouble maker? I see that you're the same. You say my car is my dad's car but when you show yours I'm supose to believe you? It handles like a go-kart? Riiight, lets see some suspension pictures along with the one of both cars next to eachother. I have a hard time believing that a guy that talks out of his *** owns a 72? Vette that does 0-60 in 2 seconds that is carbed and drives like a go-kart. Let me help you out here...

call the bs flag on me all you want. She's allllllllll mine
Old 01-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

You're holding me to something I said over 2 years ago. :sillylol: thats funny. .
Oh $hit, I'm sorry. It's fairly obvious that you have matured since then and are an expert in all things automotive, with a specialty in the pro's and con's of the TB bypass......
Old 01-03-2003, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

You guys really need to get that sand out of your vaginas. That's like a ticking time bomb.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Banned

Rezinn, A guy just likes to have fun now and then- I'll grown back up again tomorrow- I promise

Oh, would you lookie there. Is that an actual picture of me in the car, Yes, You can see me driving the car (Unlike your picture)
Attached Thumbnails how do you do a tb bypass?-vette.jpg  
Old 01-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Banned

Thought I might throw in one of my old Auto-x time sheets just for kicks. Those are all ASP class & SS Class newer post '84 and up Modified Vettes that I have circled. I'm the dinosuar BSP '68 Vette marked in yellow hanging with the faster top asp and ss cars. That's what they called respect!
Attached Thumbnails how do you do a tb bypass?-auto-x-times-2.jpg  

Last edited by AFreaknGoodTme; 01-03-2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:01 AM

All this arguing and stuff, talking about who has a better car..

You guys wanna see some SWEET cars? Check out my picture site..

http://community.webshots.com/user/todd82ta

I REALLY wish I could say they're mine.. well, actually... they're all mine, EXCEPT the ones I was talking about when I said SWEET.. IE: 1969 Vette, 1968 Firebird, those belong to my uncle. As I was saying, I REALLY wish I could say those were mine, he restored both of them himself. I just helped scrape the paint off the body panels. :\

Anyway, the 69 is an ALL numbers matching, original 427 Silver Stingray Corvette with a 5-speed manual tranny. SWEET SWEET car. It even has FACTORY dual exhaust side pipes. It's all factory, all original. Only thing that isn't original is that he installed a set of headers. I gotta admit though, 427 or not, it's really not that quick.. it runs maybe a high 14 in the quarter mile because it's soo heavy.... which brings me to his 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 RAM-AIR/2 4-Speed numbers matching car.

His Firebird is pulling low 13s. It's almost totally original. The engine itself however is rather modified. This was actually his first car back in the mid 70s, he had it running 11s at one point. But when he decided to restore it, he wanted to bring it back as much as he could to being original. I even got him the Pontiac HIstorical Services printout to help him figure out what he needed to do to restore it.

man.. sweet ****ing cars... makes my half-built 81 TransAm and my Fieros look like a junkyard.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42

Figured I'd get in on the pissing contest
Old 01-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Banned

82-t/a, That is a gorgous big-block. If all the #'s really match and is 100% stock its probably worth about $75,000 here in So.Calif-and would sell in under a week. Mine is obviously not stock in any way but all of the original parts are stored in boxes. It'll never go back to stock but it's nice having the parts including the original 327 that is just sitting on an engine stand. It has a '64 gm Nascar prototype "mistery block"(You can't trace the #'s on this motor- My father had factory connections and it was aquired) 327 ci 540RWHP at 8200 rpms. I helped developed Centerforces Dual-friction clutch in this car with a 40lb flywheel for Mike Hays-He did the development and I did the research. This car turns a 10.89 @ 134MPH on the street tires ( shown above with 335/30/17 auto-x tires and 12 1/2"x 17" custom rims) Street rims are American racing rims 15" with 295/50/15's

This car will give all passengers a heart bypass It just sits in a garage now unless we take it to a show or driving event. We had it at the Route66 cruise/show a few months back.

Last edited by AFreaknGoodTme; 01-03-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:15 PM

Yeah, but the funny thing is that he NEVER drives it. Ever since he restored it, the car pretty much sits there. The body, interior, and motor and everything has all been cleaned, repaired, restored, rebuilt, whatever. And yeah, I remember when he was taking it apart, one of the things he told me is that the engine is especially rare because it is original, and that most of the original blocks in these cars usually end up cracking for whatever reason. The crank is even original.

He put a lot more time and effort though on the Firebird. Personally, I like the Firebird better. The convertible vette sure is sweet, but it's rather slow in comparisson. The Firebird just kills his vette.

Your vette sounds really sweet!!! Honestly, I've never been in anything that ran quicker than a low 13 second quarter mile. And at low 13 seconds, it felt like.. I dunno, like I was lifting up off my seat and getting pushed into the back.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

I was bored.
Attached Thumbnails how do you do a tb bypass?-vette1.jpg  
Old 01-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Banned

AFreaknGoodTme if that really is your Vette then I'll give you props, sounds nice. Your attitude on the other hand, you need to pull it out of your ***. Picking a fight with me shows how immature you must be along with the others on this board. I offer help on suggesting what to do to his car with this mod and you all blow up. Fine, whatever now you all are flaming me because I own a Mustang. mmmk have fun.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its getting hot in here !
Old 01-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

but , keep your clothes on !
Old 01-04-2003, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

I'm gonna have to smack ya for that one, Wayne.....
Old 01-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

I'm gonna have to smack ya for that one, Wayne.....
:sillylol: hehe
Old 01-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

ROFL!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:51 AM

Car: 89 f-bird and some others
Engine: 3.4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
man, my pc is down for a week and look what I miss
Old 01-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Hell, I didnt check up on this post for like 3 days and I come back to find THIS! I read about 5 posts down, gave up, and jumped to the end..
Old 01-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Banned

Hell, I didnt check up on this post for like 3 days and I come back to find THIS! I read about 5 posts down, gave up, and jumped to the end..
Sometimes you've got to put a trash talking Mustang owner in his place. Don't get me wrong- I think Mustangs are nice cars, a good bang for the buck- The problem lies with these punk kids like snake who buy an out-of-a-box mustang and talk bs that its the fastest thing around- sorry not close. He's gone for awhile again- but i'm sure he'll find his way back.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

New Hotmail address, new username...not that hard to get back I'm sure. I've got several Mustang friends...they constantly brag to me that their cars are faster than mine because they know how much I hate Ford and how much it bothers me. Although one of them is just talking sh*t..he's got a 65 with a straight 6, a slipping 3 speed auto that's leaking fluid everywhere, a ripped up interior, and a motor that's probably 5,000 miles from seizing. Hearing that car rev reminds me of my lawnmower.....bogging down..... The other friend though...well, 65 with a slightly modified 289....I can't talk crap about him!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Axle/Gears: 3.42
and i wondered how come it took 96 replies to tell how to do a TB bypass........
Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Banned

to find out what happened in the wallmart parking lot log on the racing bord thanks!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 PM

Car: Black 89 Camaro RS w/t-tops
Engine: 2.8L (173ci) v6
Transmission: 700r4
i know this thread is old, but i had to.

TB Bypass is a mod that does not add power (correct). I have perf. cam, timing chain, completely redone and upgraded ignition, power chip, shift kit, 3" hi flow cat, 3" cat back, new y-pipe thats non restrictive and non stock, and custom ram air intake...my throttle response was bad enough at high temps, and now with the tb bypass it responds "NOTICEABLY" BETTER.

And that does NOT mean there is more power, just a small improvement(I.E. NOTICEABLE) in throttle response which helps with passing and acceleration off the line.

Oh yeah...and 200 bucks not a lot of money..im in college, and that equats to alot of beer....mmm...beer...beer that i can drink while im performing my nearly free TB Bypass....*drool*

Dave M.
----------
GO UCONN!!!

Quick Reply: how do you do a tb bypass?