V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Ok so theres a problem...bad one I think

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro "RS"
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD
A sunny day shall come soon and you get to drive the Corvette, wet-free

Fun... lol what a word to use. I certainly gained some experience under the hood and alot of knowledge....

huh... I guess that is fun
Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, it is "fun".
As in Oh joy!
Especially when you have a Wife
And then your friends chime in saying "Get a NEW CAR!".
And I say to them

There isn't the option to buy a NEW 1974 Corvette.
Believe since I first restored my Corvette back in 1996 (I bought in spring of 1995 I am owner number 12), I've had many smiles, sunsets, different girls and one Marrriage and one Son in this car.
I've hardly worked on this car since back then. About 10,000 or more miles ago. It wasn't new news for all this to catch up to me.
The sun does shine in Southern California, too, sometimes all too often!
Glad some rays made it your way, too!

Enjoy learning how to shift.
I learned on my 1966 Corvette.
Had it down in about 30 minutes.
I stopped learning when my Dad caught me figuring out how to pop the clutch.
I became one of the fastest shifters in High School and College. I was into top speed runs, road/track racing, not quarter mile runs.
You should be ready for that step, soon.

I'll bet you do need to swap in a new timing chain, too. IF your timing mark "jitters, isn't stable" that is a sign it's due for new one.
Then you'll be all set for one peppier ride. And gain back gas milage, engine longevity, cooler running engine, too.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:08 PM

I bet the timing chain ordeal is going to be ... hmmm yes... "fun" lol

And it does jitter a bit.... between around 11 and 13. I have a very small garage.. space is pretty limited... Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I'll do the timing chain thing. I have a mindset that this car will die with a 350 in it, not that 2.8... so I'll probably try to exhaust as much life out of the 2.8 before I attempt any type of swap ( plus it'll give me time to learn more about cars)

Almost treated myself to a new steering wheel today lol. I think I'm really into cars now, seeing as I find getting a new steering wheel feeling like a kid getting a new toy lol

http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.c...1828_563519956
Old 02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by ThUnDeR2005
Unbelievably happy. Just.. man. Wanna know something else funny? That last connector I needed help with... Sam just picked it up and plugged it into the windshield wiper motor! I mean he was with me lookin around for about 20 minutes just every possible place to put it in. We get the car started about an hour and half later.... right after I cut the engine and I was unbelievably overjoyed, we go under the hood for more inspections, figuring out what I should do/get for the car before its ready to be on the road. All of a sudden, he just picks up the connector and plugs it in. He was kinda shocked by it and so was I. Funny as heck, couldnt stop laughing.
LOL, that's pretty damn funny! Glad to hear you got it running again!!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Yup I'm happy... I've had a bad past week, headaches galore.

Now to get my tach and a few of my sensors to work (temp and oil) and I'll be really happy :P
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

I'll bet yor sensors are one wire at a time, too.
I also discovered, in my Blazer swap, I crossed or shorted some wire that caused my guages to go wierd-o.
I spent one long day tracing the problem. Just don't ask me how I screwed up, but somehow...
Another clue is that all wires tend to go back to the original location. IF ya try not to rewire the whole car, your answer is close at hand....
Did you solve the choke light problem yet?
IF NOT by solving the other gauges, you may solve that light problem.
I discovered in my wiring of electric fuel pump I was somehow cuasing teh choke light ot activate. By fixing that wiring, I solved the choke light problem.
BE aware of these clues as you search for your answers.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:51 AM

Choke light is gone I think...

just wacko gauges.... they show a reading while off... I guess I could go through and have some "fun" getting them all to work. I did a search here on "broken tach" and found a load of threads...... peoples tachs that have gone crazy.

Although it didn't have the tach problem before (at least I didnt notice it)..... so maybe rewiring is in order...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

No on rewiring.
Just check all your connections.
My problem ended up being a shorted wire on the cruise control that affected the gauges.
Including the tach I wired in.
My Blazer has guages but a no tach, dash.
Weird.
With all your work some "ground" is a miss.
How I found my solution?
I happen to hit brake pedal as I got Blazer engine going. Gauges acted normal. Released brake pedal and the gauges went screwy!
At this moment I don't even recall how I got the "Blazer guage problem solved" as I'm still in Fixing Corvette mode, before it starts to rain. I love driving this car in the rain, Oh joy!
Wiring gremlins suck!
A wiring schematic of yoru car would be big help or other option is to check a wreckign yard car & just examine. By now you should have good feel for the underhood wiring.
Wiring Gremlins suck!