V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

My car is pretty much totalled... now I'm screwed... (pics to come)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
I should tell you my story to help. Had all kind of jobs, roofing, UPS, RPS, then a stupid computer job hurt my back. Helped unload a back up UPS, weighed 9000lbs. I felt it when I lifted it. But it took a good 2-3 months for the pain / damage to set in. Just soft tissue damage but put me out for a year + and now I must self medicate 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day so it doesn't bother me. Just thinking about it makes it twing.

Never saw a doctor, never filed a report, So Im screwed with a so so back for the rest of my life. I did see a doc some time after it started to hurt but by then it was to late to get the bills paid the proper way. Doc had to furbar claims to get the little treatment I did get paid for.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
I'm definitely going to make it a point to go see a doctor. I just want to at least talk to my insurance company first. They said they would call me back within 24 hours.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:00 PM

Ok heres the deal,

Go get three estimates from FACTORY BODY SHOPS, like chevy and ford not your cousin vinny that paints cars down back.
When the adjuster comes hand them to him along with all your reciepts for the new stuff on the car, and smile.
He will add the motor, new fender and nose onto the low book (if interior is scrap and the rest of the car is rusty) If not it may qualify for low/mid. This may push the value of the car over what the estimates are. Second open the hood and look at the snap in grills right below the windshield if it is poped out on the pass side and wont go back in and sit in place easily(without being tweaked) Then the frame is bent (along with the cab, firebirds are bad about this) and car will be totaled end of story. If not then more then likly it is just the bumper horns that are screwed along with the front edge of the battery tray. You will be surprized how high the company estimates will be and you take all the fun out of the adjusters day.

Second if it is two three days and your neck is getting stiffer, see a doctor, and..........a laywer a good one, one that specializes in car crashes, not your cousin vinnys dad.no matter if he is free or not.

I think you'll find, settle on the car/ nothing else!!!Read check and paper work carefully (best to have a laywer do it for you if you still have neck problems)

All by the way how is your rental car?? No rental yet? Get on them if it was his fault you have a rental until yours is either fixed or they settle on your car!! And don't settle for a compact rental you tell them you had a midsize and you want a midsize you have 50 kids wife, and carpool. They will take care of you.

Talk educated and don't use **** **** and da bomb in the conversation with any of them!!!! Even the girl at the car rental place your trying to impress. All and if they give you **** about your not old enough for a rental, tell them they better get on the ball because everyday you miss work, they are paying you and if you get fired for missing they are liable!

take the money, go buy a ta and don't buy yours back. But steal all the goodies off of it before they get there because it's going to auction or crusher.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:03 PM

all end NEVER TALK TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!!!!! Tell them you need your rental and you have a appointment for a laywer, he will be contacting them shortly.
Trust me 6000.00 to 10,000.00 is better then 2500.00. All and if you had anyone in the car with you.......they are also due for medical settlements if the passenger has any problems. Plus a small amount of pain and suffering (about 1500.00 3000.00 unless there is blood involved. Then that goes up a great bit.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

eh, my back feels great now, but I still want to go get an MRI, that apparently I will need to pay for up front, and later I will be reimbursed. (how much is that?!)

I've been trying to get ahold of the damn insurance company for two days now, leaving messages, nothing works.

I will call again soon, but, wtf, I SHOULD have a rental car... this doesn't make any sense. My insurance company already told me everything is out of their hands.. I have to deal with the other company, since I don't have FULL coverage. She made sure to sneer that last part. Thanks guys, I only pay you more than my car is worth, EVERY YEAR... thanks for nothing.

So you guys think that if there is any doubt they will total the car, I should get circuit city to pull the alarm and stuff (for free?) I have heard I will NOT get my value back on those things. I will pull my yellowtop and put my old battery back in, (works fine.)

But I have receipts to prove my engine has about 20-30k on it, from the rebuild in 2002, also extensive repairs that would put my front-end in *like-new* condition... seems that they would have to compensate me some for that stuff... otherwise I'll be getting totally screwed.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
1. MRI's are hella expensive, and it's not right for you to pay first.
2. Yes, the car is totaled
3. Don't pull anything out until everything is said and done. If they have to come back and look at it, you don't want it looking like ***
4. You should get to keep the car since the value is low, or they might charge you like $100 or so to keep it. I suggest keeping it and parting out the car.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM

Don't get a MRI or anything else until you talk to a laywer or your doctor, becaus eyou just may pay for it if you have no side effects now. ALso call the insurance company and say. Since I don't have a rental and I don't have any replies and you guys are avoiding me I will be making a apointment tomarrow with a laywer! and then say thank you,
Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: V6
Transmission: ATOD
i have been in 2 front end accidents neither of which i caused, no money have i recieved from any insurance company, and my rates have only gone up.....VA has this 1% law where ins. co. doesn't have to pay anyone crap unless the other guy is basically drunk, i had the front end of my bird banged up 2x in this first time i went to the dealer (family works there) one headlight assembly cost me 600 the next time i went to tacreationsusa.com and it cost me $100 for everything right to my door, and the motor was darn near new........and the front nose i got off of someone else parting out their car for like $175 (fender, nose, hood)....but nope no help from the ins companies
Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Because if you lay down they will walk all over you. Stand up and be a total dick!! Call a laywer, leave the message, and watch how fast they get back to oyu.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
to late on the MRI. You should have left accident scean and went strait for hospital.

When I got in my wreck, everyone kept telling me you will be sore. 4 days later I was still sore, they said go get checked up. Insurance was jacking me around on medical bills saying it could have happened from something else by then. I now have a sore neck n back atleast half the time. Little to no compensation.

Knowing the car was a v6, and existing miss-matched paint/bad paint. They will total the car.

Your decision from there.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Car: 89 IROC - 85 Z28
Engine: 350 / 305
Transmission: 700R4 / T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Call some attorney's NOW. Don't wait. All of us that are posting here have been screwed by insurance companies. It is their job to screw you over, it is how they work. Be calm and intelligent and don't let them get the better of you. Attorneys LIVE for this so make sure you find a good one with a good office, a polite well dressed secretary. Ask around, an attorney that owns his own building well landscaped is better than one sitting in a strip mall. Don't just pick the first one you talk to. It's a bit like test driving a car. Use your instincts. Is there anyone you trust who will go with you? If so, have them take notes while you talk. Ask as many questions as you like. Remember be polite at all times with EVERYONE. But get an attorney like YESTERDAY. Let me know what they say, I have a lot of experience with doing it all wrong and then doing it completely correct. It sucks but school is in session now and this is another one of those painful life lessons we all have to go through. Luckily you have your friends here at TGO with you. I check my e-mail daily and I will write back sameday so keep in touch with as many details as you like.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
I still do not see how the car is totalled for 1 fender (the other can be repaired damn easily) a hood, headlight and few minor braces.
The bumper cover is in no way "totalled" it is urethane, and does not have any tears... REUSE THE DAMN THING.
You keep saying your this and that is "torn up" but have not posted any pics of it. I am speaking about the radiator core and a few other things.

Have you even gone to any body shops and had them look at it?
Get on your yes YOUR insurance co's a$$ and get stuff done. Yes, they can front it to you, then go after the other company to get reimburshed. You then need to call the "at fault" insurance co, and ask to speak top the person handling the accident, and be on their a$$ constantly. Call everyday, hell 2-3 times a day. Be a constant MAJOR PITA.

And if nothing else, you know now that YOUR insurance company sucks donkey slong and should be looking for a different one. Hell, I have been in one accident, my wife another. The first time we had progressive... it was ok and all... but a little too slow to get stuff done. Like 3 weeks to get a check.
The second time we changed to Geico, and a world of difference. The adjuster was there the next day (happened at 6 at night) and even offered to still come out. two days after the accident we had a check in our hand.

Progressive called us to complain about returning the rental car when the body shop was not even done with our car...
Geico offered to have one out that night, the car was still drivable so we declined.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
TGO Supporter

total = value of the car vs fixing the car.

Down here you CANT sell v6 fully loaded f-bodys in very good condition for 1500 buxs.

He says the paint was bad. that deducts from orginal price of car.
Condition of tires
He says it was high miles
its a v6
how is interiour?
how many OEM options did it have?
has it been in any other wrecks?
MANY things come into orginal cost of car.

Now.
Hood
Both Fenders
He says both headlights
nose clip (they will add that to the price, its been touched)
bumper braces
FRAME stratining, because the core support HAS been moved.
now painting all that again
tire alignment.

He also says the inner bracing behind the fender is damanged. Between that, any my telling the core support has moved. that tells me totalled by insurance standards alone. Even if everything else was perfect.

Can the car be fixed, o most for sure. Is it worth it to the insurance company. NO!
You can not refuse the car to be totalled. You can buy it back, and sometimes wiggle your way around the title not getting listed as salvage. But it does not stop what damage has been done.

Sometimes you can request a car be totalled if its border line and you do enough talking.

Last edited by Dale; 10-04-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Supreme Member

UNLESS the bumper cover is
TORN
OR CUT WITH A GOUGE OR DEPRESSION,
Once in accident, they "loose" shape, are deformed "too much" to be reshaped correctly.
These bumper covers keep the deformed shape & must be tossed.
That said
I got ya a hood, fender, driver side, for the cause.
Free.
Come get it.
Your neck & such.
Removal of the pain takes dedication and suffering.
Ya "lost" by not getting BEST ADVICE for your body, immediatly after accident.
Cars don't matter.
Go to Doc and get the help you need for your soft tissue injury.
Beyond "wasting time" with your insurance company, start yelling at them for guidence on this accident.
You paid them for that service.
From your side, that seems like a dismal failure which will negativly affect your situation, now.
What insurance Co. is this?
Oh
3 back injuries, two neck injuries due to auto accident & work related accidents.
Two lawyers, once myself.
Money don't matter, give me the time back that I was suffering in pain due to others action.
Start making sure you keep this thread, as it does serve as a "log of your pains".
Lawyers like trails for the ease of note taking for the lawsuit.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Arg I just went to a dealer bodyshop yesterday, and he told me in about 3 seconds (before he actually got to the car,) that it was obviously totalled. He said the parts alone would total it.

He said for sure the subframe would have to be re-alligned, and the entire front-end, including the driver''s-side fender... the hood bent it over.

BTW I don't have full coverage, so my insurance company already told me they wouldn't do anything... Which is weird, because when I first called to tell them I got in a non-at-fault accident, they wanted to know all the details--a friggin' 30 minute phone call. So I figured they were gonna at least contact the other company and help me out. They claimed that it was "against the law," to help me in this case. I don't know, but I find it a tad hard to believe that part.

I'm in the process of gathering all my receipts right now... so far I have found the engine rebuild ticket... $2636.52... that's $100 less than I paid for that car! I forgot how much that was. I for sure have the alarm stuff which totals at about $700 for parts and labor. (including the window module.)

I also have window tinting, which cost me about $300... yeah I got ripped off, but that's another story.

My next step is to keep calling their company and try talking to other agents and see if I can't get somewhere... but I sure as hell am not going to go out and just get an MRI or something that I may regret... how much does something like that cost??

If I don't get anywhere with the insurnace company today or tomorrow, I will just go to a regular chiropractor or a hospital or whatever, and just tell them what happened and get some x-rays or something I can afford...
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi w/Disc
I don't know how it goes in Texas, but everywhere I've lived, part of the insurance premium goes toward state mandated minimums for medical payouts for such things as MRI's X-rays, etc...

I find it unbelievable that they wouldn't cover it.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
TGO Supporter

yes, find all the recipts you can for it. Esp if it has milage ratings on it. It will raise the price of the car and they will pro-rate it.

I proved I had tires less then 2 months old on mine. They gave me an additonal half my tire purchase.

I proved rear breaks to be 2 days old. Gave me 75% of them

window tint they will give a rats *** about.
Radio if you still want it, they will possibly let you pull it. OR pull it before they even value the car. If they ask where the radio is. Say you want to keep it no mater what happens to the car.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
ehhh.... bad idea on pulling anything. This can make the car look like crap and they won't value it as much. You are entitled to the car in the end (you might get it free or have to buy it back for little $$$, to cover storage or whatever)

Trust me on this one. My girlfriend's Cavalier Z24 burned, and we pulled her radio, speakers, etc. When the guy came he checked it out and left, and we later found that he said it was a 'project' as it was missing parts!!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
Originally posted by Gumby
I would see a doctor ASAP and call a lawyer.

Trust me on this. You don't want to accept some cheesy $2-3000 check from the insurance company then have neck problems your whole life.
Might not hurt bad now but damage like that is progressive.
Your neck is now easier to hurt. You would be ill advised to take anything less then $10,000 and they pay your lawyer fee's.

Don't wait another day, min or hr. Or it may look like your just after cash but your not. Your after just due cause trust me. Your slight neck twing will get you later and cost you more.

agreed grumpy I'm joking don't get mad

but no my dad fell on a sheet of black ice once while at work. he went to the dr they said he looks ok as best as they could tell, but this wasn't what the doctor normally did as he was new on the job. my dad felt ok though just a little sore. well 6 months later he can hardly walk. when did he did walk he looked drunk and many times I saw him comming home and I would ask him if he was drunk. by the moment he said something I realized he wasn't drinking. sounded too sober. trying to watch him run was a joke. he would pick up a pan not thinking about after it has come straight out of the stove and not even realize he just burnt the hell out of his fingers. I mean bad finger/hand burns. wouldn't even know it till he looked at his hands and when oh shizer. when he went to the dr. they where surprised to even see him walking. most all his feeling below his neck was not very good his arms and legs really bad. sad as it sounds and as emberrasing as it is he sometimes would **** himself because he couldn't feel the fact that he had to go. the doctor said he herniated 3 disc in his neck overall by them moving he has constricted just a little ovr 50% of his spinal cord. not cut it just squished it up enough that iwas causing a lot of issues. he has had to undergo two operations to fix this. one to put a big piece of metal in his neck held in by screws and a litlte bone from a cadaver. the second one was because the bone material wasn't bonding with my dads neck as it should and the screws started comming out and came close to hitting the windpipe I remember right. enough room to be safe but also not enough room to be scary. so they had to cut him open again in neck as well as the hip where they took a piece of bone out to replace the cadaver bone since his own bone should graft a lot easier.

after some physical therapy and a good amount of time he is doing fairly well. still a little tingly at times from what has happened and his neck doesn't feel good on cold humid days. but all in all most evrything from that isdone and over with and he is aclose to 100% only thing is he will never be able to do what concrete again which was the only thing he really knew in life.

so yeah if you really have neck pains (not just saying you do for more money) I would say make sure you get it checked out.
as gumby said it can get worse. things like that don't always workthere way out in that instant. sometimes they take days months and so forth
Old 10-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Hrm, I've only called like 4 times today... time to triple my efforts.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Update:

I kept calling and calling, and I gave up trying to actually contact my assigned agent, and I just kept hitting zero until I talked to a real person. I explained the situation to him, and told him my back was hurting from the accident. I told him that I've been trying to contact this certain person, but I was not able to. He said that they were extremely busy and she may be waiting for the police report.

The gentleman took some information from me, and started a personal injury claim. What's funny, is the guy out of San Antonio who was assigned to my personal injury case called me in like 45 minutes! I gave him all the details of the accident, and he told me that he would personally get in touch with my main adjuster. He put me on hold and called here... no luck... he actually laughed about it. He seems like a very easy-going individual. He basically told me that there are several ways to go about settlement for the injuries, and they would need to wait to see the police report to officially put through the paper work for the claim.

Well he called back around an hour later, telling me that it didn't make any sense to have me waiting when he thought it was pretty obvious it wasn't my fault. He went to his supervisor and they both agreed they were 100% liable. He then was able to call the main adjuster, and they swapped info, and again agreed they were 100% liable. As soon as they get the police report in the morning, I will have a rental car. The gentleman told me I could probably get one tonight, and they would re-imburse me later---as long as I didn't get a Hummer. (This guy seems to enjoy his job!)

He was explaining the different methods of personal injury settlement... and I believe it basically boiled down to the two following options:
1. The insurance company sets aside a certain amount of money for my damages. I go to doctors, physicians, chiropractors, etc, then I fax them the bills, and I get re-imbursed.
2. The insurance company writes me a check up front, for a slightly lower amount (he wasn't specific,) and I do with it as I please, and they wash their hands of me, (injury-wise.)

Basically option one is good if you are really, really hurt, and only care about getting fixed.

Option two is if you are after money, and are not too severly hurt, (e.g. not hurt at all.)

Extra money sure would feel good... but I think I'd feel like a criminal if I got money for being hurt and didn't use it for doctors. Actually, I wouldn't feel like a criminal---I'd feel like a moron, especially if I really WAS hurt, and I wasted all that money!!! I bet a lot of people do that.

From what people have told me so far, is that my engine will be pro-rated... meaning I will probably get about $1000-$1500 for it... nothing more. Combine that with the previous condition of my car, $1700-$2500... it's not too shabby. Obviously I need to talk to the adjuster who comes out to look at my car... provide receipts, all sorts of good stuff.

I am going to find repairs, engine work, tire bills, oil change bills, the works.

I have had my oil changed every 2k-3k miles, the ENTIRE life of the motor. Firestone can print that out for me if I ask them nicely.

The alarm is a toss-up. Some people tell me I will get paid for it for sure--others say I won't--for sure...

I will just be polite with the adjuster, and explain to him/her that this alarm is in perfect condition, and it will cost this and that to get it removed/installed... maybe they will agree to at least pay the re-installation costs.'

I'm almost 100% positive I will lose out on the stereo wiring.. but luckily, that was pretty must just my own wasted time... something I can't put a price on, since I did the installation at my own leisure, for non-essential equipment.

The guy basically told me that they wanted to get me back into my previous condition, personally, and property-wise. He said that they are pretty 'easy' on stuff like this, and that as long as I show proof of stuff, and give legitimate reasons and tell the right stories... I could easily get what I ask for. --- Again, this could all be part of their tactics, but I feel this guy is sincere, honestly. Not every insurance guy is a con artist! c'mon look at Red1991TransAm! He can't be a bad guy, shoot, he even owns a Trans Am!

Thanks for all the help guys, and I'll DEFINITELY keep you guys up to date. -- Hopefully I'll get a rental early in the morning, so I can drive to where my car is parked and talk to the inspector... otherwise he'll be there by himself, and just assume my car sucks.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

All right! Some good news, finally.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
TGO Supporter

dont even worry on the oil change slips, they dont care about them.

Tires they will
Radio, alarm. Talk to them and see what story is with/w-out it in the car.
When I had a rental, they allowed me up to xx.xx a day.

All info posted sounds about right. But this was your insurance company, not the other guys.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 PM

Car: 89 IROC - 85 Z28
Engine: 350 / 305
Transmission: 700R4 / T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Glad to hear things are going well. I still feel you need to talk with an attorney. Do not trust even your insurance to do the right thing. It is not about screwing over them or taken advantage of the situation, it is about making sure your rights are protected because it is ALL insurance companies jobs to pay out the least possible. Trust me, my parents used to call me the human magnet when I was growing up and I have more experience with this than I could possibly write down. Talk to an attorney - a good one not some idiot ambulance chaser but a good one.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

This was mine.
At first they said $1200.
I got it up to $3500.
I had no collision coverage.
I did the work myself. Pretty easy.
Hope yours works out well
ESPECIALLY your pains.
Attached Thumbnails My car is pretty much totalled... now I'm screwed... (pics to come)-priortoopen.jpg  
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Car: Black 89 Camaro RS w/t-tops
Engine: 2.8L (173ci) v6
Transmission: 700r4
Just a few things I'd like to add based on my experience, and I want reiterate that I am NOT saying anyone is wrong, this is my experience.

Accident Stuff: 84 camaro z28, read ended some guy that was stopped in the middle of the highway (prior accident had occurred on the left side, person was stopped for some reason, guy in front of me was lucky because he managed swirve to avoid it, no so for me)
-Front end damage = 3,000 plus
-Insurance Co. said it was totalled
-Engine damage could not be assessed because hood was jammed shut (bent latch assembly) and insurance assigned body shop was not legally able to "modify" the car to open it up, really dumb.
-had to open the hood to fix leak in radiator because it was still driveable during the day and didnt have coverage to get rental
-insurance company denied me claim because I had cut into the car to get the hood open, they wanted to give me 1200 for it and take the car. They also wanted all my stuff, title, registration etc..before they made a decision, of course i didnt give it to them, because that was unheard of.

Insurance Company: Health not car:
As for as any injury is concerned you DO NOT need to go to the hospital I was told to do the following. Assuming it is not too late.
- go to a normal doctor, walk in if possible, get a basic exam, they will make out a report and create a file (if you dont have one) and recommend a place to go, call that place, tell them you were in an accident and need an exam, they should do this and your health insurance covers basic exams (or should).
-they will most likely have you get an MRI and not a catscan because they most likely deal with this stuff alot, they will contact your insurance company and deal with them so you dont have too. They will get the ok for mri and your in for an appointment ASAP.

This is ofcourse assuming you dont have some crap insurance company that will even deny an orthopedic or neurology center.

Possible lessons learned: dont tamper with the vehicle until its settled, dont rely on your health insurance company from day one, go see a normal doctor first. If you end up in a suit against your insurance company it may not even go to court because you have all sorts of references and documentation.

nuff said
Old 10-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

I just got the reservation for the rental car--but they're out of "full-size" rentals.

The appraiser should be out sometime between 1pm-5pm

Give me time to make sure everything is all cleaned up and washed... remove my big-*** 6x9s, and re-install the sail panels... toss in my stock 4x6s and crazy glue the speaker grill back on the dash.. they actually ripped off during the wreck... if that shows how hard the impact was...

luckily, due to my bad luck, my headunit is still in the shop, so I have a good argument for that being missing... I'm hoping maybe I can find my old one--but I think I tossed that P.O.S.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

First off, I don't have full coverage on my car...

Secondly, I don't have any medical insurance of any kind...

I don't have any chronics illnesses, nor do I require any medication, not even advil or anything.

Maybe later, but not at 21 years old!

Anything I do at a doctor, I will have to be re-imbursed.... luckily I have about $3k saved up right now for emergencies*car*... so I'm guessing that will be more than enough. Maybe not... but I'm hoping.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

I could be wrong on this, but as I stated before, I could almost SWEAR that in all states part of the premium goes toward meeting state-madated minimums for medical coverage.

You could even try calling another insurance company (walk-in may be easier, too) and ask them if in your state if they have to cover medical. It should be something like $10k minimums...
Old 10-06-2005, 01:02 PM

u have no medical at 21? not covered under your parents? hmmm....sorry to hear that. I didnt have full coverage for my car either, thats why i got so much of a hassle from the car insurance company. The only good thing that came out of it is that we didnt have to deal with the counterlawsuit by the insurance company of the person that caused the incident, since they were found at fault for recklessness or something like that. They tried to use the following to close warning I got against me but then found out i got a warning for following the person in front of me, not the car i hit.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well, and you should look into some medical insurance in one way or another. If you are on your own then that is understandable, unless you are in school, then you should be able to get even minor coverage that way.

Good luck..

Dave
Old 10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
TGO Supporter

I didnt know about the automatic medical thing. Thats worth checking into.

As for 21 and being w/o medical insurance is quite commen. Being under parents would require him to still be living at home and attending full time college. Having his own thru his job... I know alot of 21yo that are bouncing around jobs and never stay long enough, or the company doesnt offer it for that job/hours being worked.

As for being treated. I belive you can make payments. Like put 100 bux down at visit, and then pay say 50-100 a month tell you get it back from insurance.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 PM

I suppose it depends on where you live, in CT you are, or i should say can be, covered up until you are 25 regardless of school. Then again it could just be the insurance company and the fact that i live near the insurance capital of the country, probably the world. There are some crazy rules about dependencies and being on your own. I know people who have lived on their own for 4+ years and state wont let them declare themselves as independent and they are orginally from another state. I think they do it so that they cant get huge grants and aid from state universities or something. Wealthy state, cheap people i guess.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

In the morning, I am going to a orthopedic doctor... one that specializes in spinal injuries.

My sister's fiancee's mother, is a physical therapist... She said that orthopedic docotor have a few more years of school, and have much more power (prescriptions,) than a chiropractor does.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:47 AM

right on! those guys/gals give you strong enough prescriptions that they could put down a horse. That's what I take for my back now.....weeeeeeeeeee. No, I opted to just remain with pain killers, but sometimes they offer perkiset.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

I can't say I'm a huge fan of medication--we'll just see...
Old 10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

I would probably be if it weren't....*ummm*...illegal for me. Not the greatest idea for me since a lot of people in my family have been addicted to various medications...So I guess it's a good thing it's illegal for me, huh?

Last edited by PhLaXuS; 10-07-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

I got a call from the main insurance adjuster today, and she told me that my car was a "total loss." Apparently my case is being transferred to the "Total loss department."

I asked her how much the damage was, considering the appraiser could not even get INSIDE the vehicle to pop the hood, and she told me roughly $1700 worth of damages...

uh, $1700 totals the car, wtf? negative.

What are they going to do when I fight them over the price of the car, and they agree it's worth, lets say, $2500... just for grins. Will they attempt to repair the vehicle, or will they still total it and and give me the new value?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Car: 83 firebucket
Engine: less then a geo
Transmission: 5speed crap box
they will either offer you money and you keep the car,or they will give you more money and they take the car.

how much did you have into the car? id demand they pay that much plus medical,if they dont,then sue them for it. as long as the accident is not your fault they will more then likley have to pay,but your lawyer now gets a cut.

it sucks,but either way your taking a loss. no one ''wins''in this situation no matter what happens.

you might get $10000 for everything,but if your neck still hurts when your 65 or older ,was that money worth it all those years ago?

assess the damage to your self and the car,then figure if you lost any work ,add that all up and demand that much,if they refuse,sue for enough more to pay for your lawyer and your orginal damages.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

I think that my back will be fine... the doctor still hasn't called me back... but I think I may be in a situation to be completely re-imbursed for my car... seeing how I have so many options involving the "personal injury" side of the story...

Honestly... why is it so hard for them to just compensate me for what it would cost for me to replace my car? That's what they are here for... Everyone knows that they will raise the other guy's rates over $1000 a year.... meaning I may get $2000 out of this whole thing, but they will make $60,000 from him in the next 20 years---and I bet he doesn't get in another wreck.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:45 PM
TGO Supporter

when you figure in all the cost of the parts, and they go by new parts, not used parts. Then 60-120 per hour for a shop to repair it, then paint it all.

It adds up quite fast.

You can bicker on the price. Dont forget to nail them for new registration fees, higher cost of insurance for your new(er) car. Um, I belive a few things more too.

However, they will not raise you from 1700 to 2500. Not unless you provide more recpits showing its worth 800 more TO THEM. I'm guessing you could dicker up to 2000.

Like I said, in my area, A prime v6 f-body wont sell for 1500. 1700 for one with mis-matched damaged paint is a deal.

One of my many x's had a 1991 corsica totalled. She looked up KBB and it listed them for 2400 bux. She thought she was going to get 2400 for it(I was all over the place, I knew better) . Well, she didnt take into account that the car was a totaled repair(when she bought it), mis-matched paint, stained/ripped inside, air-bag missing, half the electronics didnt work, no radio, no lock for the trunk, bald tires. They offered her 700, she bitched and got 900.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

They're in the business of making money for themselves no matter who they screw. Of course $900 for that car is a total rape, but they don't care. $900 for any car from 1991 which operates and safely is a rip-off, even if it is missing some parts. As I see it, you've got to give them some incentive to pay out more than they want to. You've got to get the upper-hand SOMEWHERE in order for them to make the decision that it's in their best interest to pay you more to shut up. A guy near my hometown in Ohio had a collision in his truck. I don't know the specifics, but he ended up placing the wrecked truck right next to the road with a huge plywood sign which read: "State Farm Was Not On My Side". Maybe they would've been if he warned them what he was going to do...
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

The chiropractor I went to said I will probably want a lawyer. He told me to come back on Monday, and let him know how I feel.

I have decided if I still feel ANYTHING, I will get a lawyer (through the doctor,) and have my way with this damn company... because the doctor told me if it was truly just a pinched nerve, after this visit, it should be totally gone by Monday.

He wanted to make sure that I really thought it over, and didn't just try to be 'man-ly,' and say I didn't have any pain.

I'll be the first to let him know I'm feeling pain--and I can only hope that in the end, I'll get my car totally compensated for. Whether or not people normally get their car payed for is irrelevant.. everyone should get totally compensated for their cars... it's not my fault AT ALL that my car is ruined... I should be "taken care of."
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah, and I went back to enterprise today, and made them give me a new rental... I got a Nissan Altima... holy **** I love it.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by PhLaXuS
Of course $900 for that car is a total rape, but they don't care. $900 for any car from 1991 which operates and safely is a rip-off, even if it is missing some parts.
Actually, it didnt operate safely, and I wouldnt have gave her more then scrap steel price for the car which is about 100 bux right?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Personal injury does include the mental anguish of losing your beloved car that they would not fix or pay a fair price for. Which has you all tide up in knots over the loss. This is America and we love our cars.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Dale
Actually, it didnt operate safely, and I wouldnt have gave her more then scrap steel price for the car which is about 100 bux right?
If the car wasn't even safe...then I'd be fine with $900.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

uh, the car was 100% safe, before the accident....

now it's just risky, because there are no headlights and the plastic parts scrape on the ground.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
Dang Sorry I did see this thread I would have chimed in much sooner.

IF YOU FEEL ANY PAIN AT ALL

Screw the Insurance. Look in your Phone Book Right Now and find a Personal Injury Attorney that gives a free consultation. Call them and go that route. Trust me you will be far better off then dealing with them by yourself. They screwed me big time and dragged out my claim over the statute then when I had no recourse they dropped me. Jumping through hoops is worth it in the end.

Now you car is different.

Deal with them as nicly as possible.
You will have to demand they give you a list of replacment cars before you settle. They will give you a list of Fbodys accross the country at the cheapest price. None will be local. Once you get this list you can make a royal stink about how much they say your car is worth since most of the list will consist of POS vehicles that need work done to them. This is where you find a suitable replacmnet on your own and tell them what kind of $$$$ you need to replace the car because car 1 on the list needs seats repaired, car 2 has an oil leak ect....

They will give you the option to buy it back, usually $300. If you can get more then 300 out of the car then buy it back fix it or part it out and get your moneys worth.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 PM

As far as parts are concerned, atleast with my insurance company, if they couldnt buy the part new direct from the manufacturer they would replace it with a used part that is deemed "functional", and they probably have a used parts price list and will base it off that. The insurance company actually had a different assessment of damages value then the insurance authorized mechanic shop. I think it was about 800 dollars cheaper.

Also, since the car's "condition" was not perfect when purchased they said they were not liable for returning it to "off the dealer lot" condition, but to the condition present when the insurance was applied. So from now on every time I add something to my car in the area of replacing interior stuff, and adding anything aftermarket I contact my insurance company and have them anotate it. The have only upped my rate once and that was when I added the new rims, but it was only a few bucks.

As far as the pinched nerve, I was told the same thing several months ago. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my lower back that was putting pressure on my nerve that caused pain in my lower back and left leg. Unfortunately I wish it was actually a scheduled visit to the doctor because I would have sued his butt for being a dumbass. Get a second opinion from another person, even a walk in doctor.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

Hrm, yeah I still feel pain, and it's been a whole week.

Can it still be a pinched nerve? The doctor said everything was fine, and I had a muscle spasm and a pinched nerve, or something to that degree.

Hrm.

Quick Reply: My car is pretty much totalled... now I'm screwed... (pics to come)