V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

loss of rpms. stalling out. smells of gas. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of rpms. stalling out. smells of gas. HELP!

I have a '91 Camaro RS with 108,000 miles. I know I need a new starter and exhaust but now I have a major problem. Other than the starter, the car starts and idles beautiful, but once you get it moving, I start losing RPMs and the car just doesn't want to go and eventually tries to stall out. It's like it's not getting any gas after a certain point and then it gives up trying. It smells like gas too. I don't know enough about cars but I have friends that do and they're all at a loss as well. I just changed the fuel pump and filter thinking that was the problem but driving it back home it did the same thing and I just parked it for the winter. Now it needs to come out of hibernation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: loss of rpms. stalling out. smells of gas. HELP!

could be leaky injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator if it smells of gas you should be able to snif it out. whip the UIM off and take a look, whilst its off if you unhook the coil ht then turn the motor over so the fuel pump chucks some fuel up there you should be able to see where its coming from ???????????????????
good luck, let us know