V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Help!..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!..

Ok, If you can't tell, I've got an 89 RS (2.8).

The car has sat for a while. I cranked it up the other day to move it (a few times, a couple of weeks ago actually) and I didn't have any problems with it.

Anyway, to make a long story short because I can't remember the specific order of events; this all is what happened:

* I pulled the plugs to clean and regap them like I've done time and time before.

* I ran seafoam through the vacuum line attached at the rear of the manifold.

* At some point when I cranked the car, it was missing. Badly.

After this, I cranked the car up to let it run for a while; I figured maybe there was still some seafoam left in the (long) vacuum line being sucked into the engine. That didn't work so I shut it of and pulled/cleaned the plugs again. And again. Then I replaced the spark plug wires. I'm fairly certain the car is firing on all cylinders and I don't believe it's the ignition, although I'm not gonna rule that out.

Basically, the car is dumping gas on the 3 or 4 of the plugs and it is missing on I'm guessing the very same cylinders.

All I have to drive right now is my trans am and I really need this car (the camaro) to get back and forth to work for less that $100 a week..

So ok, if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong with the car that would be great. But I wanna know, after reading a few threads on here, it sounds like it could be the fuel pressure regulator (I looked in the vacuum line and didn't see any gas, but..). Can anyone tell me if I was to go to pull-a-part (the junkyard) - would I be able to pull a regulator or fuel rail/injectors from any camaro/firebird mpfi 2.8 or would it have to be another 89?

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read such a long and wordy post.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's
Re: Help!..

if the plugs are fuel shorted they will not work no matter how much u clean them,if u pulled the plugs out and they were soaked with fuel i would go get new ones,plain old delco stock replacements work the best from what ive tried.

also make sure the firing iorder is correct ive seen ppl chekc it 5 times only to go back a 6th and find out they have plug wires crossed.

firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6
if u really have 2 u can heat the plugs up with a torch to get rid of the fuel soaked into them but this is highly dangerous in its own if u get the insualtor 2 hot it will crack and can fall inside the cyl when u reinstall the plugs. ur much better off goign and spending 6-8 bucks on a new set of spark plugs then to take the risk just to save a few bucks
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks, but I'm not gonna waste my money on new plugs when they too, will soon be "fuel shorted."

I need to find where the fuel is coming from first...

And the firing order is correct; it's the same as it has been the past three years I've had the car.

Any other suggestions or can anyone answer my original question?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

pu tthe new plugs in and try to start it,chances are the plugs got fouled up and thats why they are fuel soaked,if u put new ones in and it dont run right then u knwo u have another issue. 9 out of 10 times its something simple.

u know the plugs are bad now u need to elimate that to see if something else is wrong
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Wow. You were right - I guess the old plugs were too fouled to let the car run long enough to run out the rest of the seafoam.. I put new plugs in and took the car for a drive and it was struggling at first but it's been doing great so far. You should've seen the looks I got when I pulled in the gas station though lol. Suprisingly enough it took a lot longer to burn out the seafoam in my camaro than it did in my old 79 t/a.

I just want to apologize though man because you were absolutely right and I had NO IDEA what I was talking about. If I had just spent $11 on new plugs a couple of weeks ago I could've saved a lot of $$$ in gas!.. Thanks alot!!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

hey np man i was one of those ppl that didnt listen and thought i knew everything at one time too.